Gorontalo vs Bunaken vs Lembeh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chocolate

Contributor
Reaction score
hi all,

I've dived each of Bunaken and Lembeh twice, in the last 5 years or so...
I like both places, but feel that the diving in Buanken has deteriated quite a bit (maybe too many divers, i don't know?). And came across Gorontalo on the net...

anyway, has anyone dived all three places?
I know that Gorontalo has some wall as well as muck diving (i like both), but how is the diving like compared to Bunaken and Lembeh?

I have done all 3... :wink:
Really enjoyed & preferred the diving at Gorontalo (as compared to Bunaken)... 1 dive shop, short dive season & few divers... Beautiful pristine reef, good visibility... There are a few muck sites but definitely not as mucky as Lembeh... However, Gorontalo is a town, the hotels are are in town, can't see the sea & the piers - dive shop's & sometimes the police's are a 10mins drive away, it didn't give me a dive holiday feel... [Understand from friends that diving in Palau would be like this, should we choose to stay in town area...]
Why not do both Gorontalo & Lembeh? I am a huge fan of the muck diving at Lembeh, if I were to go to North Sulawesi, wouldn't lose a chance to do Lembeh...
Anyway, in case u missed, here is my take on Gorontalo... 2009 Dec 26th to 2010 Jan 9th

Ah, I have done all three as well. Agree with xariatay, do both Gorontalo and Lembeh.
Lembeh is great macro. I actually just came back from Gorontalo, and amazed by its incredible underwater walls, healthy corals, caverns... and you can switch back and forth from macro to wide-angle! :) Just remember, Gorontalo is only to be dived from November to April, and Lembeh is all-year long.

here is the link to my trip report on Gorontalo: Fish BITE

Have fun!

Been all three. I recommend do both Lembeh and Gorontalo (if weather permit) as well. Actually several location in Gorontalo is diveable all the year although may not be as good as Nov to April. Indeed, Miguel is operating at that period only since they travel from the city with boat. Many locals will go to ulele village by road and then use small fisherman boat to reach nearby sites. The muck diving site in Gorontalo as mentioned by Xariatay is diveable all the year, just park you car and walk to the shore. However, for Gorontalo muck diving, not comparable with Lembeh.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom