Got certified this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heimer DM, I am considering for 2nd hand diving equipments as they are a little too costly. It is advisable to get 2nd hand ones? Anyone in Singapore thinking of giving up on their equipments?

Most of my equipment was 2nd hand. If you get a reg set, be sure and have it serviced at a shop before you go diving with it. Don't overpay! My first purchase to this day makes my stomach churn. But I've saved so much on other things that it brings a smile to my face.

I can't imagine buying everything new. Seems like new scuba equipment is more inflated than the price of college these days! :wink:

Congratulations!

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought of asking my qn here as there has been a lot of mention about temperature (Am a CN).

I am going to be certified soon in Thailand. Does it mean I wont be allowed/able to dive in colder regions (Say SA or Eng)? Is there a separate certification for warmer and colder regions?

I hope this mentioning of temperature is just to underline the plight of your diving and to bond together :D

Well no, not really a seperate certification, but there are things to consider, since you don't use (all) the same gear in cold water as you would in warm water, most importantly your reg set-up :) you wouldn't want to jump in cold water with your warm water gear and get a free-flow while you're down there :)
And there's a change in bouyancy when you're used to a 5mm wetsuit and go diving in double 7's.

Aaand ofcourse it's always a good idea to dive with someone who's familiar with the new area you're going to dive in, with new water/weather/everything conditions.

( I left drysuits and arctic conditions out of it, since I don't know anything about that stuff :) )

What is cold, by the way? I'm dutch, so I'm not sure if it's 'cold' here :p (water is around 12/14 degrees now)

Back
Top Bottom