Got certified today! And froze.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

congratulations

When cold shore diving it's good to get some method using your car to get dressed afterwords. Having a van sure helps me. At times I've put plastic on the driver's seat and sat in there with wetsuit on and heater going in between dives if I'm doing more than one. I find it more practical than the usual method of taking the top off and putting on a coat.

As @TMHeimer says it is worth devoting a bit of thought before you dive to what you do back on dry land afterwards. I have bought a surf robe ( can be as little as a towelling robe or as much as a purpose designed item such as a "dryrobe") so I can slip out of my wetsuit without flashing everything to the world. I have an SUV so the rear door is at a level where I can sit to remove my gear so the process is normally get back to the car, unlock (with my non electronic "wet key" that goes with me during the dive), disable the alarm and start the engine with the "dry key" (which gets left in the car) and lift the tailgate and sit on the sill while removing my gear and the engine heats.

If it is cold it is worth ensuring you have hot food or drink to come back to whether it be soup, coffee, hot water etc. Even to the point of possible bringing a portable gas stove to heat it (link). That has the added benefit of providing a source of warmth for you.

I have a mid-sized SUV lease right now (Nissan Murano) and it does fine holding all my stuff, but it is kind of a pain to try to sit in and change. Some of my other ideas:
-A bath mat of some sort to put on the ground so the feet don't go directly on the cold asphalt or dirt
-A small pop up canopy for the rain/snow (8 foot square at the most) or one of those portable 'beach cabanas' to cut down on the elements as well
-A used enclosed trailer that I could finish off inside to make a changing room as well as equipment hauling
-Bring my portable propane heater

Your little stove is a great idea Neilwood! I like that.

I have a mid-sized SUV lease right now (Nissan Murano) and it does fine holding all my stuff, but it is kind of a pain to try to sit in and change. Some of my other ideas:
-A bath mat of some sort to put on the ground so the feet don't go directly on the cold asphalt or dirt
-A small pop up canopy for the rain/snow (8 foot square at the most) or one of those portable 'beach cabanas' to cut down on the elements as well
-A used enclosed trailer that I could finish off inside to make a changing room as well as equipment hauling

enclosed trailer is a great idea put rubber on the floor maybe an old couch with plastic over top and a heater even though i hate the term a cool portable man cave

I have a friend who took an enclosed utility trailer, finished the inside, and uses it for diving/gear hauling. Changes inside and has a small heater. Installed a vent for heater.

Just trying to find a reasonably priced one is hard.

Neilwood has a good method. I think there are numerous things you can buy (or make) that covers you while you take your time changing (I either use inside the van or in the woods if warmer). Only thing I may disagree on is there is always a beer in the cooler for while taking equipment apart after the dive, but this is probably not the best advice. As well, my dives are usually to 30' at most so I'm not concerned with a beer affecting post dive DCS.

... We had everything set but then our instructor's Mom had a terrible medical emergency and in the middle of that his wife came home and told him they were through. It is sad because he is a really nice guy. So we kept getting delayed due to personal reasons so my LDS finally got another instructor to pick up where we left off and take us through the class again...

Who is your LDS and instructor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom