Got my rig... newb question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StreetDoctor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got my BP/W today, super easy to put together and great quality I just have one question and most likely it's the way I have it adjusted. (I'll take some pictures later with it on and you can be the judge). Has anyone needed longer corrugated tubing on the wing? Mine rests about even with the D-ring and it's difficult to get my mouth to it.

I think you will find that it is not a problem underwater, or when floating on the surface.

Got my BP/W today, super easy to put together and great quality I just have one question and most likely it's the way I have it adjusted. (I'll take some pictures later with it on and you can be the judge). Has anyone needed longer corrugated tubing on the wing? Mine rests about even with the D-ring and it's difficult to get my mouth to it.

This is a very common first reaction for new BP&W users, particularly if they are comparing the inflator hose on the wing to what they have been using on most jacket BC's.

The hose on the wing is indeed much shorter than most jackets, but the hose on most jackets is much longer than required.

As long as you can turn your head and orally inflate the corrugated hose is long enough.

As TSandM noted, wearing the gear on land vs in the water will put the hose at a different location.

On land gravity is pulling the plate and tank lower on your back than it will be in the water.

If you find that even in the water the hose seems too short (give it a couple dives) you may have the plate and wing too low on your back.

In most cases it' simply a matter of becoming accustomed to the new gear.

Tobin

The hose should be fine once you get everything adjusted. The hard part is the "even with the D-ring" part, since the d-ring could be up or down several inches on the harness. The inflator should probably be hanging somewhere around or just below your collar bone.

Thanks guys, I figured it might be a bit different in the water. I'll be diving it sunday so I'll report back then. What do you think of the adjustments in these pictures? I know the D-rings are a bit off...

Edit: having the inflator though the piece of innertube as seen in picture 2 is correct right?

Attachments

• P7110001.jpg
    P7110001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 170
  • P7110002.jpg
    P7110002.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 182
  • P7110003.jpg
    P7110003.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 157
Thanks guys, I figured it might be a bit different in the water. I'll be diving it sunday so I'll report back then. What do you think of the adjustments in these pictures? I know the D-rings are a bit off...

Edit: having the inflator though the piece of innertube as seen in picture 2 is correct right?

Plate height look reasonable, you could raise a bit if necessary.

The inner tube is for the LP hose, not the corrugated hose. I'd also run the inner tube a bit further forward towards the Dring, more like the top of your shoulder.

Remember the harness adjustment may change when you put on your exposure suit.

Tobin

Thanks Tobin, I had my 7mm suit on while adjusting it for a little bit and thought I was going to pass out (outside temp in the 90s with no AC) :11: lol... Figured a sweater wouldn't be as bad.

I just dove my rig for the first time today and I found that having the LP inflator hose through the bike tubing put the corrugated power inflator right where it needed to be. As Tobin suggested, mine is placed close to the top of the shoulder.

It did a few double takes reaching the hose at first (the one on my BC was much longer), but the DSS hose is really the perfect length. The tubing on the LP hose helps keep the corrugated hose right where it needs to be, once you remember where you're reaching for that is :)

I was really impressed when I got it and set it up, but after diving it I'm literally speechless. The rig literally fits like a glove (SS bp w/ bolt on weights and Toris 26 wing) and everything is just where it needs to be. I just wish I'd picked it up sooner. Good luck with the new rig, cheers.

Souvy what kind of exposure suit are you diving with and how much weight did you have?

I'll be diving tomorrow with it for the first time, I'll be starting out with 14lbs around my waist but I'm pretty sure I'll be bottom heavy.

True the wing inflators are shorter than rec b.c's,but that picture you posted dont look right to me in or out of the water i have never seen anybody with the oral inflator ending on your shoulder.It should come down to just above the left ***.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom