got shafted**help**!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandshaker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a 16 ft JONBOAT w/ a 25 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. Brand new just picked it up two weeks ago. Well my husband and I took it out in the bay a putted around for a while. Docked at red fish point to let the dog run then went over to crooked island. Well the thing was runnin' fine. It was getting dark and we thought we should head back. Well no go!!! The thing would not turn over. It didn't even sound like it wanted to. Well I flagged over some people that were out gigging flounder. They towed us in. We gave them a $150.00 check...I would have paid more if need be..***I will be getting SEATOW soon...*** Well HARTS Marine ""FIXED the problem?"" They said water was in the gas. They drained it and started over...Well I asked how did water get in there...DUH they said it just happens from time to time...So this past Sunday we took it out again..went over by the airport to watch plains come in.. decided to go check out the other side went to start it and guess what..yup nothin'... I haven't even made a payment on the thing yet. We took it back again. They said they would fiX it... well I told them it is brand new should not have these problems. I want a different one. They pretty much said this is yours now deal with. We called Yamaha and they said well take it to another dealership. I am:light: :light: so MAD:light: :light: Why take it to someone else when THEY sold us crap. I looked up Florida's lemon law and this does not exist when it comes to boats or motorcycles. Can this HARTS Marine Jack us around like that???? If anyone can help me I would be GREATFUL!!!...you buy a big screen, if it doesn't work they will replace it or give you your money back..??// WHY IS THIS ANY DIFFERENT??????

sandshaker:
.Well I asked how did water get in there...

Condensation....or sometimes cheap gas comes with the water already mixed in. If there's a drain at the bottom of your gas tank, you can just drain off the water.

Yes,.. I know. We drained out all the old gas and put in new from another gas station. I am wanting them to replace the whole motor.

It is sitting in my drive way now. After we got it back for the second time we let it run w/fresh water running through it. It ran for about 10 minutes we cut it off and tried starting it again.. and bam NADA!!!

I am so confused on my rights when it comes to this...

Your rights....haha. :rofl3:

Not to pee on your parade. But have you heard the old addage, "a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into."?

Well, get used to it.

The trick is to balance the good times with the bad in any marine environment.

Good luck.

Yeah.. I see what you are sayin' but GEEZ-OH-MAN!!!!!!! come on... why would you buy rotten food??? ya know.. or a New Car w/ no motor or a dog find out it is an invisible one??:confused: SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am spreading the news every where on how nice HARTS marine is!!!!!!!!!!! they can bite my:mooner: :wink:

It might end up costing you something no matter what happens at this point. Sounds like small claims court is in your future (if you have those in Florida). Next step might be a lawyer, unfortunately this will probably cost you as well.

I think the first step is to find out what is really wrong with your boat, and get it fixed right. Another dealer is probably the best thing. I am not sure if it would be better to be up front with the guy about your situation or not, business wise they probably know each other, but they may or may not be buddies.

I believe "They" have had water in their fuel from time to time. But with your brand new boat, that excuse will only work one time in my book. You probably have more than one problem. If you are not good around motors and such, your going to have to have a mechanic figure out what is wrong with that new four stroke, it should run great with a minimum of maintenance for long periods of time.

This may seem unrelated BUT my mother had a problem with a refrigerator she bought. The condenser or motor was bad and even though they sent a (inept) repair person out it kept failing. Three times it went bad, and that's serious because your food can spoil and give you food poisoning. My mother wanted the fridge replaced. They wouldn't budge on the issue.

This is what she did. She called them up and told them she was hauling the fridge out to the edge of her driveway. Her property. Then she was hanging a sign on it saying where she bought it and that it was brand new and would not work. She was fortunate in that a lot of traffic for the local factory (Cummins engines) passed down her street on their way to work.

They replaced her fridge.:D

As long as you are only stating the facts and are not resorting to libel (lies to hurt their business) and the boat is on private property, there is nothing they can do.

By chance, are you running an ethanol blend? ethanol and boats don't mix well, we are starting to see problems here in Hawaii in relation to our now "mandated" ethanol blend. Next boats a diesel........Jimbo

I think you should try telling your dealer, or maybe a different dealer, the symptoms in great detail. The fact that the engine runs fine until you shut it off and then refuses to start or run at all makes it sound like an electrical problem. Often when an engine is shut down and the heat "sinks" into it, it can affect the electronics. Try letting the engine cool entirely, like overnight, and then try to start it. It if starts after that, it's almost sure to be an electrical problem. Water in the gas would not normally allow the engine to run fine but not restart.

JPH

Back
Top Bottom