Got some new gear yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LowDrag

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I went to a seminar put on at my LDS by the ScubaPro regional rep. It was very interesting and educational. After the seminar I went on a shopping spree for my basic gear. First let me start by saying this. I brought my gear in for my instructor to inspect to see if any of it was still useful. Weeeeeeeellllllll...as you are probably already thinking the answer to that was a resounding NO!!! LOL!!! Devon pulled my mask and snorkel out of my gear bag and the snorkel promptly fell into two pieces hanging by a thread of rubber...LOL. We moved on to my mask which I had bought like 30 years ago or something. It is a Tekna brand. Strangely enough, my facial features must have changed or something - hmmmm go figure - because there was no way in the deep blue that the mask was going to seal. As for my fins, well let's just say, there must be a Tek diver out there that would be interested in them. So I took a tour thru the store and picked out some new gear. I got a $50 discount plus 10% off for attending the seminar so I got some good prices. I started off with a new mask, the ScubaPro Spectra Mini with snorkel , compared to the Spectra itself I found that I had basically the same field of vision but it was not ORANGE!!! LOL!!! Then I picked out gloves and boots. I picked out Aqua Lungs Aleutian Kevlar gloves and a pair of ScubaPro boots with the thicker soles. Last but not least, for fins I picked out ScubaPro's Seawing Nova. I know a lot of people like splits but I wanted to give the Nova's a try. I figure at some point I will give the splits a try and have two pair of fins to choose from. Nothing wronf with that right...:cool2: Here is a quick shot of the gear I picked up. I will add more pic's as time goes on. Now just if the next month and a half would zip by so I can get my cert class going. Happy diving to all!!!

Newgear.jpg

I bought most of my gear around a couple of weeks after my Open Water certification, most from my local LDS, some used, some from elsewhere. I'm still using most of the gear (with few replacements due to personal preferences) because my LDS helped guide me along. However, if I had to do it again, I'd probably do a lot more research and a lot more dives before buying gear. There are a few pieces that I'm using that I would have changed. With experience comes knowledge of what gear you prefer. Unfortunately, it is expensive if you choose to test out gear through renting (overall more expensive than buying immediately).

Lucky for you, your LDS seems to be pointing you in the right direction.

Looks like you had fun! Although I'm kind of a paddle fin fan, I would MUCH rather see students in the Novas than in splits. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase, and they come with spring straps!

I bought most of my gear around a couple of weeks after my Open Water certification, most from my local LDS, some used, some from elsewhere. I'm still using most of the gear (with few replacements due to personal preferences) because my LDS helped guide me along. However, if I had to do it again, I'd probably do a lot more research and a lot more dives before buying gear. There are a few pieces that I'm using that I would have changed. With experience comes knowledge of what gear you prefer. Unfortunately, it is expensive if you choose to test out gear through renting (overall more expensive than buying immediately).

Lucky for you, your LDS seems to be pointing you in the right direction.

They definitely are helping me out. The dive instructor that helped me out was giving me pointers but not insisting on one piece of equipment over another. He gave me good comparisons to make my choices from. Along with that I have been doing a lot of reading and checking out different items that I want to add to my gear list.

Looks like you had fun! Although I'm kind of a paddle fin fan, I would MUCH rather see students in the Novas than in splits. I think you'll be pleased with your purchase, and they come with spring straps!

I did have fun picking out the things I purchased. It was fun going thru the different pieces of equipment and deciding which item I wanted. The only thing I was already set on were the boots. My feet are pretty soft and walking on rocks in thin boots did not interest me at all. I did not know there were kevlar gloves available so I was glad when Devon showed them to me. I am looking forward to using the fins, I am used to using U.S. Divers Rocket fins. The Nova's are definitely lighter. I was glad to see the straps were the good ones, the spring straps for the splits were another $45.00. That was part of the reason I went with the Nova's. :wink:

Looks like you had a good time. Did you pick up some type of bag to carry your new toys in or do you already have one?
I was looking at the orange Spectra at a store last Monday and really liked the look of it.

There's nothing like spending money on scuba gear... and sugar by the looks of things!! Quality boots are a great choice too, I bought cheap ones and regret it when my toes start going numb...

Looks like you had a good time. Did you pick up some type of bag to carry your new toys in or do you already have one?
I was looking at the orange Spectra at a store last Monday and really liked the look of it.

I already have a bag that I bought for a cruise a few years back. I used it to carry my wife's set of snorkeling gear along with mine for dive excursions on the cruises we have been on. I looked at the Spectra to but I did not like the orange. I compared it with the Mini and I have basically the same field of view so I went with the Mini instead. They both fit great and feel real good.

There's nothing like spending money on scuba gear... and sugar by the looks of things!! Quality boots are a great choice too, I bought cheap ones and regret it when my toes start going numb...

Amen to that...the sugar, well, that was just me being lazy and not taking the time to move it off of the table before I took the pic...:shocked2: As for the bots, I am the same way. When it comes to my feet I wear as good of a boot as I can afford. I just $185 for a pair of work boots, my feet are thanking me all day long.

Getting new gear is always fun, from the simple to the complex. Be assured, like the Spectra, you will grow to not like some of your choices while you'll defend to the death your decisions on others. That's OK. Our tastes and requirements change as we go forward. What seemed like a great idea sometimes morphs into "What was I thinking?" That being said, I don't see anything in your current configuration that I could not dive with and have fun. That's the real point after all. :D

Congratulations ... you have just entered the bottomless pit. :D

Enjoy it ... looks like good gear. Cant go wrong with Scubapro in my opinion.

Your going to like those gloves. I've bought several pairs of the aleutions, great for lobstering. I wear them until the water gets into the high 40's and then switch over to dry gloves. There's nothing wrong with having a pair of splits in the arsenal. I'm split down the middle on the split fin debate. There's pros and cons for each. I use both.

Back
Top Bottom