Got to dive a Gorski Helmet yesterday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who have no idea what a Gorski hat is:
Gorski is owned by Aqualung.

Thank you @Akimbo . The HPD unit didn’t have the “exposed” portion of that APEKS second on the left side. This was why I guessed at the 2000 model? I believe that our second stage diaphragm must have been inside the tube area below the glass?

@Storker our topside tender used that handle to bring the helmet to us and to then take it away. We managed it going past our nose each direction, but he did all of the heavy lifting for us.

What's the handle on the top for? Wouldn't it be better to grab the harness in case of an emergency?

The handle is only there to make it easer to deal with when the hat is not on the diver’s head. The Kirby Morgan hats also have handles.

A hat without something to grab is like carrying a wet bowling ball without finger holes.

Haha great analogy. Let me add that the diver goes in the direction of his head lol.

Hot water is the best too. We heat the side block to prevent second stage freeze ups.
IMG951590.jpg

SmartSelect_20181002-200305_Instagram.jpg

our topside tender used that handle to bring the helmet to us and to then take it away.

The handle is only there to make it easer to deal with when the hat is not on the diver’s head.

d'oh! *slaps forehead*

Thanks for the explanation.

d'oh! *slaps forehead*

I thought your question was pretty observant and very reasonable considering that you haven't used this gear -- like the vast majority of divers reading this thread.

Your initial thought was correct. Most commercial divers use a safety harness that the umbilical strain relieve connects AND incorporates a rescue ring. Here is an image of a harness that also incorporates a reinforced rubber back plate to mount a bailout bottle.

upload_2019-1-8_14-58-46.png

Single and parachute style double crotch straps are often required by companies and in different jurisdictions. Miller Diving pioneered these harnesses and the company was purchased by Kirby Morgan after Ben Miller passed away.

You might notice that the webbing connections are made with (Monel) rivets instead of sewing. This is because threads can be attacked by petrochemicals that divers are often exposed to and cause joints to fail. The image above shows the soft unimpregnated webbing that is used primarily by saturation divers who are not exposed to petrochemicals floating on the surface. It is about 50% thicker than the soft webbing used on many BCs.

They also offer a heavily impregnated webbing that is favored for surface-supplied diving operations. There are several manufacturers of different style commercial diving harnesses today, in the US and Europe.

Damn @Akimbo you're giving all the trade secrets away.

Great information that a typical (pea brain commercial diver like me lmao) cant put into words lol

I have one, simple, silly question: how do you equalise?

Nose bar. The little knob that pokes out the center front, has a t bar that covers your nostrils. Its movable

Thanks!
That's what I was thinking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom