Gotta love Florida -- Weekend photos from West Palm and Eagle's Nest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
You gotta love the diving in Florida. I had an excellent diving weekend here in Florida. First there were a couple of days of diving the reefs of West Palm with sunny skies, flat seas, and (finally) warmer water temperatures. And the marine life showed up in force. Then it was off to Eagle’s Nest cave system for a fresh water rinse of the rebreather! Here are some weekend photos:

West Palm
img_5401a.jpg

img_5361b.jpg

img_5375a.jpg

img_5407a.jpg

img_5382a.jpg

img_5426a.jpg

img_5476a.jpg

img_5473a.jpg

Eagle’s Nest
Dropping into the system through the “chimney”
img_5506a.jpg

Classic “Grim Reaper Sign” photo
img_5513a.jpg

It’s a MASSIVE system
img_5510a.jpg

Hanging on deco. There’s the one way out – that little light coming through the chimney
img_5519a1.jpg

On the way out after a great weekend of diving
img_5530a.jpg

Self Portrait
img_5442a.jpg

Wow those are awesome pics, what sort of sharks are they?

Eagles nest looks scary, did you go further?

The first is a nurse shark. The others are Caribbean reef sharks.

Eagle's Nest is sort of an "Everest" of cave diving. It's about 300 feet deep and goes back a couple of thousand feet both upstream and downstream. A cave only for very experienced full trimix, full cave divers.
Personally, I've only gone down to about 270 ffw swimming about 500 or so feet upstream and downstream as I don't have a scooter. Even that makes for a lot of deco and about a 2 1/2 hour run time on a closed circuit rebreather.

The first day we did a three tank trip to North Double Ledges, the Trench, and then the Playpen/Toybox. The next day was Shark Canyon and Juno Ledge. I really don't remember which shots were taken where except the reef sharks were at Shark Canyon, the Goliath at Juno Ledge, and the Turtle at Playpen/Toybox.

Thanks for the pictures. You can keep the deep dark holes, but it is interesting to see inside.

I live in Palm Beach County and work at a local dive shop and could pinch myself, I love it here!

Back
Top Bottom