Government Allocation of Helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard from a reputable source that Richard Branson is investing in a helium mine on the sun, could be good news for us!

Ha, I was going to suggest some enterprising entrepreneur develop such a business, but you beat me to it. Of course start-up costs would be rather "astronomical"

Attached is a table showing Helium usage by sector from the USGS.

minerals.usgs.gov/ds/2005/140/helium-use.xls‎
So the helium itself isn't really getting scarcer it's our consumption of it that has skyrocketed. That makes more sense to me.

So the helium itself isn't really getting scarcer it's our consumption of it that has skyrocketed. That makes more sense to me.

I think it is a little of both. The natural gas wells in the US that have high concentrations of Helium are declining, which are less expensive to separate. It will be interesting if to see if the drilling and fracking activity finds more.

There's always hydrogen. :wink:

For anyone who remembers Dr. Fife (the elder, father of Dr. Carolyn Fife), the stories told around College Station was that Texas A&M kept moving his lab farther out in the woods because he was experimenting with breathing hydrogen under hyparbaric conditions, and he kept blowing up the lab. It may all be urban legend for all I know, but fun storytelling anyway.

I will not dive hydrogen again, got bent last time. My instructor blames the altitude air tables I used, but I am sure it was the hydrogen.

I will not dive hydrogen again, got bent last time. My instructor blames the altitude air tables I used, but I am sure it was the hydrogen.

Were you using helium tables or nitrogen tables? The hydrogen is a much faster gas than nitrogen, so you really have to watch your ascent rates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom