Grand Cayman airport update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes good point! And we had enough trouble getting out of Grand Cayman as it was. Our flight from LC was so delayed that we missed our flight out of GC and had to catch a much later one.
Hmmm. Same thing happened to a new friend I met on the island.

Yes good point! And we had enough trouble getting out of Grand Cayman as it was. Our flight from LC was so delayed that we missed our flight out of GC and had to catch a much later one.

Hmmm. Same thing happened to a new friend I met on the island.

This review and response for LCBR was recently posted on TripAdvisor. It again references Cayman Airways Max8 problems, although that might only address part of the problem.

But I was interested to read that a new Head Chef is starting soon since we will be heading there later this year.

Great diving, nice resort - Review of Little Cayman Beach Resort, Little Cayman, Cayman Islands - TripAdvisor

Great diving, nice resort
Our group of 28 divers returned to LCBR, our 9th-10th time there over the years. The rooms are nice, with excellent service by everyone there. The diving is superb, with Simon & Karolina as our dive masters. The food was below average the first part of the week, but improved significantly over the second half of the week. The only air in is by Cayman Air from Grand Cayman so you’re at their mercy. They really screwed us royally today, delaying baggage so we missed connections in Grand Cayman & Atlanta. This was a totally preventable problem, but no one cared about it. We’ll return, but I already dread dealing with Cayman Air returning from Little Cayman.

Date of stay: August 2019

Response from Dive_and_Resort_Team, Guest Relations Manager at Little Cayman Beach Resort
Responded 1 week ago

"We're sorry our food started out disappointing. We have a great kitchen crew but have added a new head chef schedule to start with us soon to ensure that every day's meals are delicious and fresh.

We share your frustrations with Cayman Air. Although it may not help, they have been severely affected by the grounding of the Max8 planes which made up 2/3 of their aircraft. They are trying to operate as best they can with just 2 of their own, older jets that were scheduled to be retires and a leased plan. But it's obviously now working out as they'd hoped. When the Max8s are given clearance to fly again, they will have 3 brand new ones, which will address most of the recent problems and resulting service disruptions.

Thanks for your visit and your review."

Could someone please explain to me what the lack of Max8s could possibly have to do with delays and lost bags out of LC on an Otter?
I love diving LC but hate having to get there.

Could someone please explain to me what the lack of Max8s could possibly have to do with delays and lost bags out of LC on an Otter?

I agree, I suppose they’re saying that if there are delays with their International flights that can lead to connection delays with their commuter flights, but it may just be a weak excuse.

Maybe the Saab's and Otter's are having to make more trips to Brac now due to issues they might be experiencing with the older jets they are using? I don't know - just a thought?

Maybe the Saab's and Otter's are having to make more trips to Brac now due to issues they might be experiencing with the older jets they are using? I don't know - just a thought?

That’s possible because they do have the jet flights to Brac that carry people heading to both of the sister islands and they may be using it more for flights to and from Miami or something.

That’s possible they do have the jet flights to Brac that carry people heading to both sister islands and they may be using it more for flights to and from Miami or something.

That's exactly what happened to us. The plane was supposed to come to pick us up in LC directly from GC but instead went to Brac, and the delay cost us our connection. This was after Cayman Airways made 2 schedule changes in the months prior to our arrival, moving the flights back over 2 hours on our departure day and leaving us with less than a 50 minute layover before the final delay due to the diversion to Brac. It's like they couldn't care less that people have connecting flights that won't be waiting for them. The whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth and I won't be returning to LC anytime soon.

That's exactly what happened to us. The plane was supposed to come to pick us up in LC directly from GC but instead went to Brac, and the delay cost us our connection. This was after Cayman Airways made 2 schedule changes in the months prior to our arrival, moving the flights back over 2 hours on our departure day and leaving us with less than a 50 minute layover before the final delay due to the diversion to Brac. It's like they couldn't care less that people have connecting flights that won't be waiting for them. The whole thing left a really bad taste in my mouth and I won't be returning to LC anytime soon.
They already moved my GC to Brac flight in November from 9:50 AM to 6:45 AM! It will be an early morning wake-up but the upside is I can likely get some afternoon diving in when I get to Brac!

They already moved my GC to Brac flight in November from 9:50 AM to 6:45 AM! It will be an early morning wake-up but the upside is I can likely get some afternoon diving in when I get to Brac!

At least Cayman Airways moved you forward rather than back. I would have preferred that for sure! In fact I met a guy on my trip who didn't have to be at the airport so early and was willing to switch flights for his group with ours but Cayman Airways wanted $75 per person to make the change, we're talking 3 of his group and 3 of ours. That's right, after changing our flights twice and cutting our layover to under an hour, Cayman Airways wouldn't allow a simple switch without charging $450. We decided we'd risk a 50 minute layover but then they totally screwed us with the last minute diversion to Brac.

By the way- even if we hadn't been delayed and got to GC with a 50 minute layover, our luggage wouldn't ave made it. The agent told us that you need to be checked in at the airport 60 minutes before the flight for your luggage to be allowed on.

Back
Top Bottom