Grand Cayman and Hurricane Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know exactly what you mean! I, like you, love the Aggressor and Sunset House and Georgetown and all that goes with it. It's sort of surreal that almost everything will be totally different... How sad.

Has anyone heard if the Aggressor made it out of there and if so, where they went?

By the news coming from www.caymannews.net, you should check to make sure everything is open. They have said they're not letting any flights in until Wednesday night. It is total destruction down there.

Our 4th trip is in February and we're looking at how much could they have rebuilt by then. We are going to stay at Sunset House and the news says that everything on S.Church St. is either gutted or gone. We'll have to see.

Good Luck !

I feel so bad for all the people of Grand Cayman. What a horrible disaster for them.

SkubaDiveChick:
I know exactly what you mean! I, like you, love the Aggressor and Sunset House and Georgetown and all that goes with it. It's sort of surreal that almost everything will be totally different... How sad.

Has anyone heard if the Aggressor made it out of there and if so, where they went?
Report from StormCarib:

Author: Chris
Date: 09-13-04 00:06

Does anybody have news about the whereabouts of the guest and crew on the dive boat Cayman Aggressor. Last i heard they took shelter on Grand Cayman but do not know where and have heard nothing from them. My parents, Mitzi and Michael Fields, were aboard. Thanks for your help!

Re: Cayman Aggressor?
Author: Chris
Date: 09-13-04 17:22

Heard from Aggressor Co. Crew and guest weathered the hurricane in the Community College. All are safe
I've heard no news regarding the Aggressor itself.

Last I heard the Aggressor was l"unnacounted for" - ast seen in harbour that now contains just one boat which aint the Aggressor - All crew and staff were on land and are safe

Well I'm really glad the crew and guests are okay.

But that's so sad about the boat!! :( I felt kind of attached to it... I still can't believe that almost everything is destroyed! Wow..

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it.

Finally found a report regarding Cobalt Coast and Divetech on
stormcarib.com:

"Just talked to Nat Robb's mom. She talked to Nat this morning on a Sat phone. Everyone from Cobalt and Divetech is OK. I still can't believe it but she says both the resort and Dive Tech shop made it through. Not sure how much damage but al least still there." http://help.stormcarib.com/read.php?f=14&i=925&t=925

sdwho

i heard that the seaview ( near to the sunset) was scoured to the foundation by 10-15 foot surge with 30 foot waves on 7 mile beach.

i was heading there to finish my tech in two weeks.

bummer, but apparently for the near future they won't let anyone without a cayman passport onto the island!
there is a british supply/rescue ship offshore and it cannot dock due to rough seas.

i hope usair lets us change our tix!!
now to find another place to dive deep and warm

but on a discouraging note, see this sat photo re: the developing 'cane that is hitting the virgin islands

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/browsh3.html

rough year for the carribean

the great lakes and the thousand islands look like a piece of cake next to what these poor folks are getting.

dt

news about the Aggressor is good - it`s been reported alive and well and suffered minimal damage - guests are back on board being fed and given access to better communications

Aggressor survived with some sand damage to the port side & the thin ceiling tiles. Otherwise, she seems fine.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom