Grand Cayman and Hurricane Ivan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ack! Double post. Sorry.

Kymma, I've heard that Keith & Casey are okay, but they lost everything in the hurricane.

Their webmaster is trying to put a mailing list together of people to help them out, so if you're interested, just send an email to neptunes@neptunesdivers.com.

Andrea

thecleave:
Kymma, I've heard that Keith & Casey are okay, but they lost everything in the hurricane.

Their webmaster is trying to put a mailing list together of people to help them out, so if you're interested, just send an email to neptunes@neptunesdivers.com.

Andrea

Will do just that. Thanks for the information.

Has anyone heard anything about the Grand View?
(we have December reservations)

I doubt if any dive operation will be working for a couple weeks. They need to rebuild their shops and homes. I suggest to anyone wanting to go to take their working clothes and tools to help them rebuild.

Below are storm damage reports from the locals.

Caribbean Hurricane Network
- Updates from the Islands -
http://www.stormcarib.com/#nine

---
Unfortunately the world's media (with some online exceptions) still ignore the tragedy that has occurred in the Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman in particular.

http://www.tellin.co.uk/
---
Grand Cayman damage reports
http://cayman-damage.andy.net/gcm.php#7mile
---

Daze,
I am just returning from a week in the GC (9/8-9/15). My wife and I were on the first evacuation airlift tuesday afternoon. After the pictures develop, I will post a complete a full trip report.
However, let me state in no uncertain terms: DO NOT GO. There is nothing there for you there. I say an unprecedented level of destruction on par with a war zone. There is no electricity, running water, much food or shelter. Many of the hotels are either completely destroyed or uninhabitable. I dove with divetech on wed/thur and their cobalt coast (west bay) area was decimated.
We are all lucky to have survived!!!

according to fins' link on cayman damage
i guess there is some of seaview left!!

i am glad to hear that casualties are few.

7 mile beach was soooo beautiful , it makes my heart ache to think of the mess it is.

hopefully the reef will survive

i don't want to seem callous but how long before they will be diving??
i haven't given up my plane ticket for the 28th.
should i abandon any chance of any shop being the least bit interested in running? or even having a place to stay?

i don't know how fast they recover from these disasters.
dt

Back
Top Bottom