Grand Cayman Best Scuba Lodging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best time to dive the N Wall is now: in May through August, you can get out there most days (it was great last weekend). The rest of the year, you just cannot count on it: on any given day, your odds of getting there might be 1 in 4 or 1 in 3.

My wife and I have stayed at Cobalt Coast twice (February and November). We've also stayed at Sunset House. While both are good, we much prefer Cobalt Coast.

If you want to try different restaurants, be close to George Town and shopping, then by all means, stay at Sunset House. But, we found that we were very happy to be off the beaten path, away from the cruise ships and spend most of our time diving; hence, Cobalt Coast. The first time we stayed at Cobalt, we didn't get the meal plan. In November we did. Both the variety and the quality of food are excellent. One night, the cook even made a special Vindaloo for us. When we go back in June, we'll be on the meal plan again.

You'll find that the service and attention to the customer is excellent at Cobalt. When my wife's luggage went to Guatemala instead of GCM, Arie (the owner) gave her a T-shirt for night wear and personnally drove us into town to shop for essentials. The DMs at DiveTech are as attentive as you want them to be. They will give you as much assistance as you and they feel you need. Their dive briefings are the best of any dive operation, which takes the worry out of going off on your own. If you're renting gear, it is always well cared for and totally functional. You couldn't ask for a better run resort dive operation.

Another advantage of staying at Cobalt Coast is having the choice of two shore diving locations; the resort and Lighthouse Point. The DiveTech crew will ferry you to Lighthouse Point and back -- no charge. Even for night dives. Both locations are well mapped and marked, and are fairly close to the wall. But, for night dives and afternoon shore dives, we were very happy following the turtles and the rest of the critters around the close-to-shore mini-wall.

As for North Wall diving -- that's why we're going back in early June. The winds are typically from the East and much weaker during the summer months. With the exception of shore dives, in February we had only day of North Wall diving. In November, we had none. Even so, the DiveTech crew took us to a variety of sites along the northern West Wall.

Morritt's is Great! It's off the beaten path and the diving is great. Grocerie store nearby. Red sail Dive on premisis. Food is also quite good to great! The northwall is awesome when you can get to it. But, there is such a wide variety of diving from Morritt's that we bought into the timeshare's there.
We normally stock up on groceries in Georgetown, after arriving and before driving to Morritt's. (It's a little cheaper there than the store near Morritt's).
I hope this helps.
I am new to scuba Board.
Also check out my thread.

Back
Top Bottom