Trip Report Grand Cayman: Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers) and Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonhall

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently spent a week at Cobalt Coast Dive Resort diving with Reef Divers, the onsite dive op and a week at Compass Point Dive Resort diving with Ocean Frontiers their onsite dive op.

Cobalt Coast (located on the West End), as far as the "resort," is the same as it has been in the past. New owners/staff are very friendly and helpful. We stayed in one of the cottages by way of a vacation club. Everything was the same as when we were there in early 2015.

Reef Divers operates pretty much as Divetech did (when they were the onsite op) except they are "valet service." The only difference was that with Reef Divers, they put your bc on when you are seated at the rear of the boat (all you have to do is giant stride into the water) and remove your bc after getting out of the water. Your bc and reg is kept in a bag that they rinse after dives. You are still responsible for later putting it in your assigned locker. They provide you a second bag to keep and carry your other gear in. Even though we stayed at CC, we didn't purchase a stay and dive package, so diving was not discounted. No matter the number of dives, they were each US $120. Because of the time of year we expected to load up in a van and dive 7 mile beach each day (only did it once during the week), but we actually had great weather and boarded the boat from their pier and dove some sites to the north. Crazy to see waves over the pier the first few days after we arrived to nothing but calm. Procedure was always the same: One dm led the dive, one stayed on boat. After about 25 minutes the dm circled back to the boat and let everyone continue to dive their air while they returned to the boat to assist with divers returning to the boat. Generally stayed under about another 25-30 minutes. Staff was very friendly and helpful. They changed tanks between dives. Usually had as many as 16 divers on the boat. Boat was good size with room to move around.

Compass Point (located on the East End) and Ocean Frontiers are hard to separate. The staff that runs the resort also runs the dive op. The 2 bedroom unit we were in was nice with an ocean view. A couple of repairs that were needed were taken care of with no problem.

After checking in, a plastic basket with our names was placed outside our door for us to put any dive gear we wanted to be on the boat in. They picked it up and it was returned after our last day of diving. The procedure was the same as Reef Divers in that the dm led the dive for about 25 minutes and then, when under the boat, would leave the divers to use their air while they returned to the boat to assist returning divers. They didn't do that in 2010. They also changed the tanks over. They had 2 boats that went out each day. Each boat had anywhere from 8-16 divers on it. Not positive, but I think the boat I wasn't on had students on it. The staff was great. Didn't have a dive package here either but dives were US $109.

Dive sites were great on both ends of the island. More swim throughs were on the East End. Amazingly the water became calm on the West End (and on 7 mile beach) while the water became a little choppy a couple of days with current on the East End.

Had contacted Divetech before arrival to see about getting nitrox cert. They were charging $150 and would have picked me up at CC. Reef Divers would have been $160. Decided it wasn't important yet for me to get it. When at Ocean Frontiers, I just happened to think about asking when checking in, and it was $99. Did the course online and did final knowledge exam for OF. Finished on the 11th and my cert card was in my mailbox here in Indy on the 17th. That's fast!

Think both dive ops were great. Would stay at either resort again, but GC is one of the more expensive places to visit, so it'll probably be a few more years before we return.

Fine review(s), and covering 2 popular, reputable op.s, one an important update since it's under new management. Double sweet!

If I understand correctly, for others considering where to stay & who to dive with on Grand Cayman, Cobalt Coast is closer to 'civilization' - 7 Mile Beach and Georgetown, and offers an onsite and area shore diving (if weather cooperates; wonder what % of the year the onsite shore dive is practical, and how that varies by season?), whereas Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers is east coast, which IIRC is said to offer 'better' boat diving sites, but you don't have the practical shore diving opportunities, and it's a substantial drive to get to the west end for 7 Mile Beach and Georgetown (of course, some prefer rustic).

I think Ocean Frontiers offers 2 2-tank boat dive trips/day, if you're willing to pay for it. Did you see anyone doing this? Wonder if Cobalt Coast offers this option?

Did you do the same # of dives each week? How did your total cost for the week compare between the 2 weeks? If you were going back for a single week and had to pick one, which & why?

Richard.

P.S.: I like to analyze for the benefit of people considering a 1st time trip to Grand Cayman (or other destination) & make sense of the options.

Richard,
You'll have to rent your own car with Cobalt Coast. Staying at Compass Point, the car is included in the cost. While you may be closer to civilization, if you don't rent a car while staying at Cobalt Coast, you can't get there without a taxi or a very long walk.

Normally, we stay at Turtle Nest Inn in the middle of the island, away from the whole Georgetown/7MB crowd. Rental car comes with the reservation and this provides a home base that allows us to cover the whole island easily for whatever diving or general futzing we want to do.

Our upcoming trip in April, however, is only a week long and we wanted to try a "stay and dive" package at Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers. We have dived with them several times and, yes, we have seen groups doing 2X 2-tank boat trips daily. We prefer the more rural setting, but we intend to use the car to get us to places we like to visit each afternoon after the morning dive session. It's not THAT big of an island.

I think Ocean Frontiers offers 2 2-tank boat dive trips/day, if you're willing to pay for it. Did you see anyone doing this? Wonder if Cobalt Coast offers this option?

Richard - you jog my memory when you ask these questions!

Ocean Frontiers has a nice display board with their schedule for the week. They do 2x2 tank boat trips everyday except Saturday (no pm dives) and offer night dives a couple of times during the week. Good group went out daily for the PM scuba dives. They did do a night dive one night but the one I was hoping to do (selling points were anemones and octopuses), no one had signed up for. They also have a pontoon type boat for snorkeling trips they offer through the week - a nice plus for non-divers.

Reef Divers at CC does morning 2 tank boat dives everyday. They have sign up sheets for 1 tank afternoon boat dives, such as to Kittiwake, but I didn't see a lot of interest for those. As we had 5 days of summer like calm water conditions, several people did shore dives from the CC pier. We didn't as I have done it before.

Did you do the same # of dives each week?

Three days of morning dives at each. As we didn't pay for a "stay and dive" package at either location, Cobalt Coast charged $120/day (no deals) while Ocean Frontiers charged $109/day (discount for more than 1 day of diving.)

How did your total cost for the week compare between the 2 weeks?

Tough one for me to respond to. This was the first time we have paid the real price to stay at a resort as we usually stay someplace associated with a timeshare/vacation club. Paid about $1112 through Hotels.com for my wife's and my half of a 2 bedroom at Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers) for 1 week. Add $238 for ½ car rental. Even if I had done 6 days of boat dives (my wife is a non-diver at present) and had the $10 breakfast everyday, putting this week together myself was cheaper than the price shown on their website which has a per person rate but includes car rental, daily breakfast, and diving.

It's harder to compare a "plan it yourself package" vs the CC website package price as you can't find a rate from anyplace for CC other than on their website. So I paid about $110 for my wife's and my half of a 2 bedroom cottage ($52 for room and $58 for electricity fee) by way of a vacation club. So obviously, this week was cheaper than at OF.

If you were going back for a single week and had to pick one, which & why?

Also tough to answer as in my travel, I try to plan other activities/sightseeing.

Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers)
* Resort: secluded but an easy drive to most activity/attractions on the island. Only 5 minutes to Hell, and a couple more to the Turtle Farm. Shopping, Georgetown, Camana Bay, and 7 Mile Beach 15-25 minutes away. Restaurant onsite.
* Diving: easy trips (weather permitting) to 7 MB and north shore dives. Shore dives weather permitting. They carry your bc and reg, you carry everything else and rinse it; you still have to put your gear, including bc/reg in locker they provide. Valet really only consists of them carrying bc/reg to boat and putting your bc on in the boat and lifting it off after dives.

Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers)
* Resort: off the main road 30-35 minutes from Georgetown, 7 Mile Beach, and Camana Bay. Only 10-12 minutes to Crystal Caverns and Botanical Park. Rum Point and Kaibo (Starfish Beach) about 20-25 minutes away. Restaurant onsite and another across the street.
* Diving: easy trips (weather permitting) to 55 sites around the East End. You put any gear you want in a basket that they pick up from your room and they take care of it until you are ready to leave. Only carried my mask and computer to and from the boat.

If going back to GC, between Reef Divers and Ocean Frontiers, I would choose OF, if for no other reason, they take care of your gear. There are more staff members available and more diving times available.

The people at both resorts are friendly and the rooms are nice and if you are only diving, either is a good choice, but when I do go back and stay on the East End it will be 5 minutes down the road from OF at a Morritts' property since I can get that through a timeshare. That knocks about $2000 off of a 2 bedroom for 4 of us!

Nice report. Thanks. Been to OF 3x but only stopped in CC once when diving with DT.

I've been to both twice. Visited Cobalt Coast prior to change to Reef Divers. No afternoon boat 2 tank dives is still a deficit. Shore diving is pretty good if conditions allow. Being most North, seems like most affected by seas. I always set up afternoon boat dives with another operator, Cayman Diving School when it was still owned by Renee Knight, no experience with the new operators.

Ocean Frontiers has 2 tank PM dives every day but Saturday. Easiest way to get the most diving, especially with their deluxe valet service. I don't need SMB, easy choice for me, I'd go back to Compass Point and OF, work on my green shorts, already have 31 of the 55 sites.

jonhall, Thanks for the report, sound's like they let you use your air? My wife and I are typically 60-70 minute divers (zen divers...), so I like to find operators that will let us do our thing, instead of following a rigid schedule. I've been wanting to go this spot for a long time, and stopped to check it out on a trip back from Cayman Brac many years ago. Do they still rent DPV's?

Hi @MAGELLAN

I have not dived with Reef Divers at Cobalt Coast, both my visits were when Divetech was still the on site operator. I've had a good experience with Reef Divers on Little Cayman during 2 visits. Dives were loosely said to be an hour, my average dive time was a little under 64 minutes (53-71). On Little Cayman, they offer an afternoon 1 tank boat dive every day. I believe that Divetech is the only operator that rents DPVs and they still run the West Bay Express.

I've dived with Ocean Frontiers twice. Here, dives are limited by your gas or NDL. My average dive time was a little over 65 minutes (51-86). OF has "real" valet service, they handle everything, including washing and drying your wetsuit overnight. The only thing I took with me was my 2 computers. Nitrox is analyzed in front of you on board. They offer 2 tank dives every afternoon but Saturday and offer some very good special dives like the 3 tanker on Wednesday, reliable night dives on Mon and Thurs (UV), and the 1 tank drift dive on Thurs afternoon.

Good diving, Craig

You can do GC on the cheap if you
1) share a condo
2) share a car rental
3) get a 5 or 6 day package from one of the operators on the west side like DNS or Wall to Wall
4) PM shore dive and night dive at Turtle Reef or Lighthouse

Still not a bargain but not insane either.
A week at Little Cayman Beach Resort or Brac Beach resort isn't a bad option either. No additional expenses apart from nitrox and tips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom