Trip Report Grand Cayman: Cobalt Coast (Reef Divers) and Compass Point (Ocean Frontiers)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do they still rent DPV's?

Can only go off the top of my head now, but don't recall DPV's being available at Reef Divers. As scubadada indicated, DiveTech did have them (when they were at CC) but can't say what they have now.

Need scoobydrew to weigh in on the DPV's.

DPVs and the specialty DPV trips were a DT specialty. Still offered by DT per their website. Don't know what RD offers by way of DPVs.

Can only go off the top of my head now, but don't recall DPV's being available at Reef Divers. As scubadada indicated, DiveTech did have them (when they were at CC) but can't say what they have now.

Need scoobydrew to weigh in on the DPV's.

Hi, I work at Divetech too and am a colleague of scoobydrew (allround good guy!). Yes we still have DPV's available, for rent for shore dives and for drift dives. We also teach the DPV course. Drop in to our main location at Lighthouse Point and we're happy to get you sorted. If you're lucky we might even have our new Bonex / SubGravity ones in, if they ever make their way through Caribbean shipping and paperwork... ;-)

We are avid live aboard divers however that changed when I had an accident which left me partially paralyzed 3 years ago. We had been to Grand Cayman twice in the 90s and wanted to return to land based so we researched which ops would be most conducive to my disabilities.
We decided on OF to be away from town and rented a 1st floor condo on the ocean by the pier
I can't say enough about how helpful and friendly the staff and crew were. With the valet service it's as close to live aboard as you can get. The accommodation were excellent and we are going back again in September for 9 days now that we know I'm capable of returning to the sport I love and have missed terribly since 2013

I'm planning on a trip to Compass Point in June. Since the condos have kitchens is there anywhere within walking distance to buy groceries or do you really need to rent a car? (Not sure at this point if we are going with the package that includes a car)

I'm planning on a trip to Compass Point in June. Since the condos have kitchens is there anywhere within walking distance to buy groceries or do you really need to rent a car? (Not sure at this point if we are going with the package that includes a car)

Compass Point is quite far out, I suggest getting a car.

Yes a quick look at google maps confirmed that. I should have done that first! So yes we just booked a car. It wasn't very expensive at all. Thanks for your input Kathy!

Take the package with the car. You will want to get around. The cost for rental cars or GC are relatively reasonable and more so with the package.

As I am usually looking at every angle, I would check other car rental options. On our last trip to Compass Point (early January) we booked a week through Hotels.com and used Andy's for our car rental. Although we didn't dive as much as what is included in a CP package (we had already been diving the prior week), had we, I still would have gotten the better price planning everything myself.

If you are planning to explore some of the island, I would recommend renting a car. Andy's has a car rental office 5 minutes away from CP by car (as well as by the airport), which is the same distance as a Fosters Mini Mart. The Fosters doesn't have as much as their bigger store, but there is enough to make meals if that's what you're looking to do. If you only need a car for a few days and you went with Andy's, I would see if they would drop off and pick up at CP since they are right down the road.

Just throwing out a different option. Have fun!

We went Ala Carte instead of a package. Since my wife doesn't dive it seemed to be quite a bit cheaper that way. Found a rental car from Alamo for under a hundred a week.....added the insurance however since I have never driven on the wrong .....er left side of the road before!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom