Grand Cayman recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brina

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am a woman, traveling alone. I want to get in a few days of good diving. I don't need a big party atmosphere, but do enjoy a drink or two with my fellow divers. I have been to Grand Cayman once before, but it was a family trip with kids and adult non-divers, so we stayed at a resort with a variety of activities and options.

thanks

I've never stayed at Sunset House but I enjoy the convenience of the shore dives and the friendly bar afterward. Also, the bar at Cobalt Coast is usually pretty friendly and has much better shore dives, IMO. We've always traveled as a couple or a group, but almost always end up meeting others and spending time with them. I don't think you'd have much problem finding divers to hang with.

Sunset House is a good option if you are doing a dive only holiday. If you want to stay elsewhere and do a few days of quality diving with good personal attention, Epic Divers is great. A little more pricy, but well worth it.

Cheers
Bryan

Am thinking you'd enjoy Sunset House. I stayed there last May for Cathy Church's Photo Fest and enjoyed easy access to the photo shop and the great dive ops team. My Bar is a good and at times quite hopping on property bar/restaurant to meet up with your fellow divers and the location is perfect for a dive focused stay.

Having stayed over 40 times on GCM over the years, IMO, Sunset House was a more rustic and quite different stay than a condo/hotel/resort stay on SMB... Meaning, the Ritz/Westin/Marriott it is not. Still a lovely, more cozy dive holiday spot. In fact, many times when I stay on SMB, I still meet up with my fellow divers at My Bar as it is convenient and the view is great.

Have a great time in Cayman! :D

I have only been to GC once. My experience was at Sunset House. I enjoyed it greatly. The food selection there is good but got old after a couple of days. A trip to the SMB area for nightly feeding is what we did. The walk into Georgetown is not my favorite though. No sidewalks and after dark I felt more like a target for passing motorists than someone making a leisurely stroll back to my room. I would suggest a walk into town and a cab back to Sunset House. My Bar is a great place to grab lunch after the morning dives. Breakfast was part of our package and it was good. If I was going to go the GC by myself I would definitely appreciate the group of people and newfound friends available at Sunset House. If I was with family or a group of friends, I would look towards some of the other options.

I stayed at Sunshine Suites which is located somewhat in the middle of seven mile beach. It is across the street from the beach front
hotels but an easy stroll across the street. (do look both ways twice, the cars are coming from the opposite direction down there) !
There is a nice grill next to the pool that serves some good food and a nice atmosphere. The lodging is basic but the hotel at the time
(2009) was very well cared for.

If you are by yourself and want to dive as well as hobnob with some of the other divers, better to stay at a dedicated dive lodge like Sunset or Cobalt Coast than at Sunshine Suites in my opinion. The bar and pool area at Sunset House is bigger and more active than Cobalt. Further, much closer to town.The shore diving at Cobalt is indeed better than Sunset but, as it is on the North, much more potential to be blown out by weather than shore site at Sunset, on the West.

Brina: When are you planning on going? We are booked at Cobalt Coast for a week in May and I plan to write up a trip report when I return.

Betty

Looks like Sunset it is. I had looked at their website before posting and it looked like what I wanted - I don't need fancy, just friendly. Thanks for all the recommendations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom