Grand Cayman Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't be 70. I would have been frozen dead. Mid to high 70's minimum. There is always a place to dive when it is windy. The north side will get the wind and swell, can be rough. Have fun

I just got back from the Caymans on March 16th. I used a shorty the whole time and wa nice and warm. Tuesday and Wednesday were com enough to dive the north wall, then the winds kicked up and diving switched to the south side. Even the cruise ships left Georgetown and went south. Enjoy, snowing in Minnesota today!

I am in East End. Winds are shifting today, will be coming lightly from the south. Only tiny breakers on the offshore reef. Afternoon dive boat coming in from the north as i type this. Went to Kittiwake today. Glad I did it, but not super exciting. Day off tomorrow, but heading north on Wednesday. Why did I take a day off of diving??

BTW on west side, 82 at surface. 79 at 45'.

"Day off tomorrow, but heading north on Wednesday. Why did I take a day off of diving??"
OMG! Don't do it! The winds are supposed to be light tomorrow. Go into town and dive the main wall at Turtle Reef or hang out at Sunset House and do the wall there. My God, man. What are you thinking?:confused:

7 Mile Beach Water Temperature (Sea) and Wetsuit Guide (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands)

Today's 7 Mile Beach sea temperature is 80 °F.

Statistics for 18 Mar (1981–2005) – mean: 26.6 °C, range: 25.9 °C to 27.3 °C
Sunny with very warm air temperatures, feeling like 26 °C once we account for any wind. Sea temperatures (26 °C) very warm too. Staying comfortable in the water at 7 Mile Beach won't be a problem, but wear at least a rash-vest to keep the UV off.

Map of current Cayman Islands
Surface Water Temperatures
based on measurements from oceanographic satellites

Map of current Cayman Islands
Sea Water Temperature Anomalies

(compared with long term averages
at this time of year)
(click thumbnails to expand)

Below is a graph of Historical Sea Surface Temperature for 7 Mile Beach. This has been derived from analysis of two decades of oceanographic satellite measurements of nearby open water. We have calculated the average water temperature variation around the year as well as the extremes that have been observed on each date.
Seven-Mile-Beach-1.png
All of the graphs for the surf breaks presented on Surf-Forecast.com are on the same scale to enable comparison between locations around the world.
7 Mile Beach water temperatures peak in the range 29 to 30°C (84 to 86°F) on around the 14th of August and are at their lowest on about the 6th of February, in the range 26 to 27°C (79 to 81°F). Year round warm water temperatures at 7 Mile Beach mean that a rash vest and board shorts should be fine for surfing at any time of year
Actual sea surface water temperatures close to shore at 7 Mile Beach can vary by several degrees compared with these open water averages. This is especially true after heavy rain, close to river mouths or after long periods of strong offshore winds. Offshore winds cause colder deep water to replace surface water that has been warmed by the sun. Air temperature, wind-chill and sunshine should also be considered before deciding on the kind of wetsuit needed to stay warm when surfing at 7 Mile Beach. Refer to our detailed weather forecasts for this information.

It might be 80 at surface temperature, but it sure isnt that at depth!! More like 77-78 since the last cold front went through..
Thickness of neoprene required depends so much on the individual..experience level, body mass, style of diving...
Someone responded that they were wearing a shorty last week and were very comfortable. There were small, women on my boat dives yesterday wearing shortys layered over lycra, that froze.
Im currently wearing a 8/6/5 combo and can still be chilled at the end of the dive..BUT Im rather experienced, dont move much underwater,taking photos, and my short dives are an hour, and longer dives up to 2 hours.
When asked, I always relay water temperatures, and not thickness of neoprene.Thats up to you, the diver to decide.:)

Off to TR to take advantage of the calm conditions.

Releck, taking your advice and heading to Sunset House. Should hit the water by 2pm. Thanks for the intervention, not sure where my head was.

Releck, taking your advice and heading to Sunset House. Should hit the water by 2pm. Thanks for the intervention, not sure where my head was.
...Whew!:D Somebody had to be the voice of reason. I hope you have enjoyed your time over there! Enjoy the scene at My Bar. Have an Ironshore for me.

Thanks to Releck97 I can very happily report that the water temp at Sunset House shore dive was 86 at surface and 81 at 80 feet!!!
Releck, the Ironshore is going down easy! Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom