Grand Cayman: Westin or Marriott

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stever2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend one over the other? Also, what dive shops/outfits should I lookup while I'm there.
-PH

I have not stayed at either so can't render an opinion. I think Westin on a nicer area of 7 mile beach. You should have a look at the new Kimpton Seafire as well. Absolutely magnificent amenities and location. They may still be offering opening specials.

Cobalt Coast is very nice but way off the beaten track; and not anywhere near the justifiably famous 7 mile beach.

Everyone has their own bias wrt dive ops for different reasons. In my experience, the ops out of Lobster Pot and DNS offer very good service.

There are many posts relating to dive ops.

I would say neither, unless you're tied to their loyalty/points program(s). Cobalt Coast, or Lighthouse Point.

Totally different thing. Cobalt and Lighthouse are off the beaten track, relatively isolated and on ironshore, not beach. They both have house reefs for shore diving.
Westin and Marriott are on 7 mile beach with multiple restaurants and shops in walking distance. No local shore diving. All the dive ops will pick up and drop off customers along the 7MB corridor. I personally would rather stay at a dive lodge or condo, but some prefer hotel amenities.

It all depends on what kind of vacation you want, hotel on the beach with some diving, versus dedicated dive lodge.

If you have a larger family or come with friends (i.e., you need more than one room), rent a condo and you'll get more bang for your buck, unless you need concierge service and an on site restaurant. We stay at the Meridian (a couple of properties away from the ritz and a few more away from the Westin) and could not be happier. It's on the best part of 7 mile beach and close to most things, including west bay and north/south sound diving.

Specific to your question though, we have dined at both places and the Westin location is a bit better regarding the beach, and overall seems a bit more upscale.

The Westin has a longer beachfront by far than the Marriott. And, at least as of now, more depth of beach as well. The sands sometimes shift during winter storms, so wait a bit and maybe Mother Nature will drop a lot of sand in from the of the Marriott.

Both the Westin and the Marriott use Red Sail Sports as their on site operator. If conditions are suitable Red Sail picks up divers straight off the beach at the Westin, but is more likely to drive them by van to meet the boat for guests staying at the Marriott. You would need to confirm with any dive operator you choose (even Red Sail, as my info might be out of date) to determine if they offer pick up by van or off the beach.

The operators out of the Lobster Pot dive center (a sort of communal office for several small ops) are some of my favorites. Check out Off the Wall to see if they can meet your needs.

Thanks for all the good (and timely!) info. The Mrs is not a diver so we opted for the amenities and large beach at the Westin. I went on a dive with Red Sail in Hawaii a long time back so I'll check them out along with Off the Wall and some of the other operators.

CANT WAIT!!!

The Westin was where my family stayed the first time we went to GC in 1998. Nice back then and still looks pretty nice today. DiveTech picked us up of the beach back then. I would stay there now if I had an opportunity. Great beach and restaurants close by. Today we usually stay where vacation club/timeshare takes us, such as Cobalt Coast or Morritt's properties.

Diving is great along 7 MB and it will be easy to find a dive op to take you out. The Westin also has a beach BBQ one night a week. You'll have a great time!

I would personally use a different dive op then Red Sail. I've seen Red Sail boats packed pretty full. Many other dive ops use big boats and limit total number of divers so there is more space on board. Over the past few years, I've been very happy with DNS, but there are lots of other good operators. Everyone has a favorite for various reasons.They pretty much all pick up divers along the 7 MB corridor.

Back
Top Bottom