Grand Cayman -- What end in Feb?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddog

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be diving GC in Feb with my 13yr old son and have read some posts that give me concerns about diving the east side of the island at that time of year due to the natural winter turbulence.

Anyone care to comment?

Also, if we do stay onthe east end, it looks like it will be at the Reef Resort. Any updated observations would also be welcome.

Thnaks all.

I dived the East End with Ocean Frontiers in January and had no problems. Yes, the sea is a bit more lumpy, but it still isn't anything major, and once you are underwater, you don't notice anyway. The diving is so superior to the rest of Grand Cayman that a little bit of swell is well worth putting up with, even if you aren't used to it.

Can't comment on The Reef Resort, as we stayed at Compass Point, Ocean Frontier's own condos, and they were spot on. And very handy for the boat on a morning!

Mark

I have never dove the east end however I have quite a few dives on the North and West ends. The upside to staying on the west end is if the weather permits most operations will dive the North side which is great wall diving. The West end is the most popular and most dived but there are still great sites on the West end.

Bshowerman

I've never been to the East End in the winter, but I can attest to the fact that Ocean Frontiers is a great dive operation that offers some great dive sites. Weather in April was pretty calm. The Reef is a great resort.

I just checked on this for our trip this year. It is a roll of the dice on the North and the East end this time of year. My strong recommendation is to head for 7mile beach and then you can get out no matter what. When the jet stream dips....no diving otherwise.

Check with Nick and Patrick at Red Baron divers if you want to get the scoop down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom