Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For diving? Food? Nightlife? Anything in particular?

As for diving, I've only dove off SMB but we are going back this winter to do more in the West Bay area and the East End. I thought the canyons we did off SMB were the best dive, and I have a number of friends who love the sand chutes next to the Kittewake.

The only nightlife we did was Rock and Roll Bingo at Lone Star Bar and Grill which was a lot of fun. As for food, I love love love the happy hour at Ortanique (ceviche spoons ughhhhh), the fish tacos and blueberry pancakes at Sunshine Grill, and the conch sample at Cracked Conch/Macabuca. The rest was good, but not notable. We also did the Sunday champagne brunch at Luca which was expensive ($50 Cayman two years ago) but great food and endless prosecco.

We tried to do the beach thing at the Royal Palm and it was a zoo, so we won't be going back. We liked the public beach up by Calico Jacks the best. We tried to find a spot further south but since the beachfront is privately owned by the property owners except for a certain area from high tide, we were always baking in the sun and it was just too hot.

If the silversides are in at that time, take a trip to "Cheeseburger" (if you are on Grand Cayman Island) to see the tarpon and jacks feeding on thousands of baitfish. Below is what I wrote in my notes about that dive:

This was about the most awesome dive ever done. Silversides were in and the Tarpon and Jacks were going crazy feeding off them, creating a baitball, and swimming through it to feed. Unbelievable! Tarpon were about 4' long. Ben and I sit in a tunnel with all the Silversides just swimming around us. Tarpon coming in and out to feed. One swim-through came out to a narrow opening that we just barely fit through. I could have stayed there all day. Just a fascinating dive!

If you've never experienced anything like this, it's pretty memorable. Lots of swirling energy all around. Bring your camera.

Screen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.39.34 PM.jpgScreen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.12 PM.jpgScreen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.21 PM.jpgScreen shot 2014-10-25 at 11.50.31 PM.jpg
Credits: Images taken from video by Tim Dougherty. Thanks Tim!

Back
Top Bottom