Grand v. Allegro: Opinions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
We have stayed at the Grand a couple times and found it be a very nice hotel but have not stayed at the Allegro. For us, it looks like the Allegro is about $550 cheaper than the Grand for a 7 day stay. Can anyone provide some information on the Allegro versus the Grand and whether the Grand is worth $550 more than the Allegro for a 7 night stay?

Thanks

ScubaTexas:
We have stayed at the Grand a couple times and found it be a very nice hotel but have not stayed at the Allegro. For us, it looks like the Allegro is about $550 cheaper than the Grand for a 7 day stay. Can anyone provide some information on the Allegro versus the Grand and whether the Grand is worth $550 more than the Allegro for a 7 night stay?

Thanks
We stayed at Allegro last year and had no problems. The food was good, room was clean. Our dive shop picked us up from the dock every day. Just make sure you don't get a room near the water treatment....its loud and smelly.

Check out the rates at www.bayadventures.com. They are only showing $140 difference (per person) between the Allegro and Occidental for a 7 night stay. But don't stop there. Check out Hotels.com; orbitz; cheap tickets etc because you may find one of them running a special. Good luck!

We stayed at the Grand in May and went over and checked out the Allegro one day to see what the differences are. The biggest difference is the quality of the rooms. Allegro is a typical Motel 6 type room. The Grand is more like an upscale (Sheraton, Wyndam, etc) hotel. The grounds appeared similar and the food is probably a little better at the Grand. The beach is slightly better at the Grand.

Its a close call. For $140 per person, I would probably go back to the Grand again. If the difference is $500 it's probably not worth it.

Rich Hagelin

The information helps. Thanks. I should add that the $550 difference is spread out over 3 people. Roughly $180 each for the week or $23 per day each.

Biggest downside to the Grand that I found is that it was so nice we actually cut back on our diving just to enjoy the hotel more. I thought the food at the Allegro was good, but the Grand was clearly better. Rooms are much nicer at the Grand but I have not seen the refurbished rooms at the Allegro.

I must disagree with the food being better at the Grand Cozumel. Allegro definitely has a better beach too. Read my post on 'Eco Divers + Grand Coz Trip' to get some of my gripes. I have stayed at the Allegro in PDC and we were just at the Grand Coz over Memorial day week. The rooms are definitely a little better(nice showers)at the Grand Coz but the food is readily available and better at the Allegro. We went over to the Allegro for a day and ate and drank on the beach after our morning dives. The atmoshpere was definitely more active with decent music and activities on the beach and pool/bar. I was quite sick of hearing Zamfir and muzak at the Grand. There were activities sceduled throughout the day at the Grand but I never saw anyone doing them. I like to be active and dive but the Grand seemed more like an adult resort. I'm by no means a youngster but like to be active and have other people participating in the fun as well. Everybody seemed to stay pretty much to themselves at the Grand Coz. Lots of people from Colorado and Texas when I was there. Dive Palancar was a nice OP at the Occidentals I must say, we did night dives with them. If you wanna just lay around and eat in luxury accomodations then the Grand Coz is for you. I personally am through with AI's and will be staying closer to town and eating at the restaurants next time I go back.

We just spent 6 days at the Allegro and after reading the many poor reviews on SB our expectations were excceded in many ways. I have stayed in some the best hotels in the world, eaten in some of the finest restaurants, and probally some of the worst, so I think I have a fair perspective. My thoughts and observations of the Allegro, rating from 1-5, 5 being the best:

Resort Grounds 5
Beach 5
Food 4
Room 3
Entertainment 3
Activities 4.5
Service 4
Friendliness Staff 5
Dive Shop 4.5
Overall 4

The bathrooms are a little rough, but good by Mexico standards. If you want a fun, friendly atmosphere and would prefer to relax rather than shop and party, it might be the place for you.We are returning in August with our family of 7 and are confident we will have a great time.

My 22.84 pesos.

SterlingDiver

BTW, do yourself a favor and check out reservations on SideStep.com and see if your rates are not a whole lot better.

As someone posted here when I was thinking about Grand versus Allegro (we stayed at Grand and LOVED it):

At the Occidental, the bathrooms work some of the time. At the Grand, the bathrooms are part of the vacation.

A very true statement.

Rich Hagelin

richhagelin:
At the Occidental, the bathrooms work some of the time. At the Grand, the bathrooms are part of the vacation.

A very true statement.

Rich Hagelin

We had the good fortune to be upgraded free of charge from the Allegro to the Grand after 5 days during our visit there this year (first two weeks of June). For a number of reasons (the bathrooms being one of many) we have decided that if we ever do AI again in Cozumel, it will be at the Grand, not the Allegro. The ~$30/day/person is well worth it.

What SterlingDiver said about the food at the Allegro is pretty much true. We never minded the food at the Allegro (spend 10 days there last year, 5 days this year). It was always a nice variety, fresh and tasty. However, the quality at the Grand is better (especially the reservation-only restaurants).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom