Gratuities in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't call it a broken system at all. While I continually try to get people to understand that you should follow the local customs where you are visiting that doesn't mean that one culture's methods are broken or another are correct, that would be like saying driving on the right side or the left side of the road is correct or incorrect. I would be interested in any of the written things you are referring to that show America's tipping culture is a broken facet of our economy. Total cost of for instance a meal is the calculation of all charges, which could be cupertino in italy, VAT in France, sales tax in Costa Rica, tip in America, cost of food etc. If it adds up to for instance $100.00, then the total cost of the meal is $100. If I go to Fiji and get the meal for a total cost of $90 or go to Australia and get the meal for $120, that doesn't make Australia's 'system' broken. That would be like saying the system in Europe is broken because of the VAT on the bill. Different things go into the process depending on where you are at, it's the local economic system, which isn't broken or not broken.

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it a broken system at all. While I continually try to get people to understand that you should follow the local customs where you are visiting that doesn't mean that one culture's methods are broken or another are correct, that would be like saying driving on the right side or the left side of the road is correct or incorrect. I would be interested in any of the written things you are referring to that show America's tipping culture is a broken facet of our economy.

9 Reasons We Should Abolish Tipping, Once And For All

Danny Meyer Is Eliminating All Tipping at His Restaurants

Is It Time to End Tipping?

Thanks for the links, I've seen one of those before.

Here is the other side of the coin on tipping -

European comes to the United States for the first time and returns to Europe and meets with friends over coffee - "what did you think about having to tip in restaurants in the US?"
"Well it's different then here, but you know the total I'm paying for the bill is all that matters. I can eat in a restaurant in Europe and the bill is $19.50 and I round it up as is customary and I leave $20.00. I eat in a restaurant in the US and the bill is $17.50 and I tip the customary amount and it's $20.00. So it really doesn't matter, the total is all that matters and the total includes depending on where you are : tips, VAT, sales tax, cupertino etc... Secondly, wow, talk about the service in the US, you really get the idea that the waiter really wants to give you great service since they work for tips there, your coffee is filled all the time, they check back with you just a few moments after your dishes are served to make sure everything is perfect, and if there is an issue with something you don't have to apply for a search warrant just to find the waiter in the US"

Broken? I don't think so. To say the US tipping culture is a problem in the US then you better think the billing problem in the EU is a problem such as paying more for a meal when you sit at a table with a view versus a table inside the restaurant. Just different cultures is all. The main thing is to respect the culture of where you are visiting and not try to put your nose up in the air because it's different than what you have back home, because you're not back home. Embrace the differences, that's why you decided to travel in the first place, if there wasn't anything different where you're going, you'd just stay home in the first place.

"Well it's different then here, but you know the total I'm paying for the bill is all that matters. I can eat in a restaurant in Europe and the bill is $19.50 and I round it up as is customary and I leave $20.00. I eat in a restaurant in the US and the bill is $17.50 and I tip the customary amount and it's $20.00. So it really doesn't matter, the total is all that matters

To you, the total is all that matters. But to the service staff and restaurant managers its a different story altogether. In the US, if waitstaff don't get a tip, they are earning well and truly below minimum wage. The restaurant manager is essentially leaving it up to the customer to determine their staff's wage.

In places where the "additional" fee is VAT, GST, or some other surcharge, that charge is fixed, publicised and for a specific purpose. Eg, in the case of GST, the business has to declare any GST amounts received, and it makes up part of their business income (just how it is treated differs from country to country). Point is, a GST/VAT/etc is not a discretionary amount.

The main thing is to respect the culture of where you are visiting and not try to put your nose up in the air because it's different than what you have back home, because you're not back home. Embrace the differences, that's why you decided to travel in the first place, if there wasn't anything different where you're going, you'd just stay home in the first place.

This I can agree on. Which comes back to the comment that spawned this thread diversion. If a country such as Fiji has been impacted by storms or other natural events, forcing a tipping culture is not the way to show your support. Stick with the culture norms - your choosing to visit them, and bring your normal tourist dollar to that country/island instead of going somewhere else that wasn't hit is what will help them.

If you really want to go above and beyond, donate to a foreign aid organisation that is helping them out. That way your dollar can go to the people who need it - chances are there are more needy people of that country than the waitstaff at your resort.

To you, the total is all that matters. But to the service staff and restaurant managers its a different story altogether. In the US, if waitstaff don't get a tip, they are earning well and truly below minimum wage. The restaurant manager is essentially leaving it up to the customer to determine their staff's wage.

In places where the "additional" fee is VAT, GST, or some other surcharge, that charge is fixed, publicised and for a specific purpose. Eg, in the case of GST, the business has to declare any GST amounts received, and it makes up part of their business income (just how it is treated differs from country to country). Point is, a GST/VAT/etc is not a discretionary amount.

This I can agree on. Which comes back to the comment that spawned this thread diversion. If a country such as Fiji has been impacted by storms or other natural events, forcing a tipping culture is not the way to show your support. Stick with the culture norms - your choosing to visit them, and bring your normal tourist dollar to that country/island instead of going somewhere else that wasn't hit is what will help them.

If you really want to go above and beyond, donate to a foreign aid organisation that is helping them out. That way your dollar can go to the people who need it - chances are there are more needy people of that country than the waitstaff at your resort.
I agree with your articulate response.except most charities have very high overhead only a small percentage of the money goes directly to help. I'm not trying to impose anything I tip. if other people don't thats fine. I just think its strange that dive professionals are against tipping.Do Australins not tip The dive master and crew?

No, Australia and New Zealand like Europe don't tip. Its not part of our culture and not part of any of the South Pacific countries I've visited. I totally agree regards the overheads of charities which is why I generally directly contact a dive centre or school by email after a cyclone and ask what they need - obviously often cash - and send a direct donation.
One thing that made me curious in regards to the tipping culture you have is ''a better tip means a friendlier waitress'' type comments or "the service was terrible so I left a terrible tip". The links above were interesting reading - Personally id rather have a pay system that is equitable to all workers than decide someones ability to feed themselves that night dependant on my judgement of them or their performance.
In Aus the most common tipping practice is a jar for coins and small notes left next to a cash register or on a bar that customers add to (usually coins) if they wish that is equally divided up amongst all workers.
Going back a few decades I barmaided around Aus and I know that tip jar emptying on a friday night meant the guys who lugged the kegs around in the cellar got the same as the girls who served the beer or the people in the kitchen.

People who like the tipping culture in the United States should realize that their tips might not be going where they think they are going.

Restaurants are a good example. In many and perhaps most cases, all the tip money goes to the employer who distributes it according to their own policies. It might be a perfectly fair system in which all employees share on a reasonably equitable basis. It might not be.

All employees must make minimum wage, so in cases in which the normal salary is below minimum wage (as it is in almost all restaurants), the idea is that tips must make up the difference, or else the employer must provide additional funds to being the pay up to that minimum. In many cases, the employer takes the tips, distributes as much of them as is necessary to bring the employees up to minimum wage, and then pockets the rest as additional profit.

In summary, that big fat tip you gave the employee who provided such great service may have gone mostly to the employer who paid the employee minimum wage.

I have spoken to the owners of two resorts in Fiji about this and they don not like tipping. They both do have a jar if you want to that is distributed equally and I would be sure this happens as they really value their staff.

I'll be traveling in February for a week on the Fiji Siren. Does the consensus think that a tip is required (I mention required, because I was on a live aboard in Mexico where they "suggested" the required tip would be 10-15% of the weekly rate) or would it be assumed like the above--for extra service?

Back
Top Bottom