Great Barrier reef tips please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my DiveCon traineeship on Kangaroo Explorer, working for Cairns Dive Centre. I would say it's the best value for money in Cairns definately. Yes, if you're picky about boat luxury or demand the top rental gear, then you might look elsewhere but I can say that the dive sites this Boat is visiting are by far the best, even better than of boats you pay more. The crew is young and fun, but professional at the same time. Take 3day/2night option and you'll be diving on Milln Reef, best reef around Cairns. Pro Dive visits also the site but doesn't moore on TOP1 site called 3 Sisters. This site will blow your mind :)
Yes they say you get what you pay for but in this case you get more, if you're serious about diving, not sleeping in your cabin :wink:

I say better sites from Lizard Island and north from Lizard Island. (except Yongala)

App0001.jpg

File0364.jpg

File0363.jpg

File0359.jpg

File0356.jpg

File0348.jpg

File0347.jpg

File0340.jpg

File0329.jpg

Caymaniac I agree with you. The luxuriousness of the boats, is not the reason for choosing SOF, mike ball etc. Its the sites, and the diving. Coral sea is pristeen and teeming with life and pelagics.

Hi Nikki,

I spent a few days beginning of January over on Lady Elliot Island ( Lady Elliot Island Great Barrier Reef - Official site ), which is the bottom most island on the barrier reef. Easiest to get to if flying from Bundaberg or a couple of places north of Brisbane. You can book flights and accomodation package through the website. Dive school on the island, gear for rent, clean air, excellent diving, crystal clear 25m plus Viz, plenty of turtles, mantas, reef sharks, white tips and abundant sea life and live corals ! I'd say perfectly safe for single female travellers, infact met a lone Japanese girl when there who was over to check out the diving. Flights and accomodation a bit expensive in peak season, but well worth the trip to see a little of the lower end of the reef. Cheapest accomodation on island are 'Eco' huts, being wooden framed canvas buildings and perfectly ok to stay in. There's also a bar and restaurant on the little island.

My only critiscm of the place was that we were limited to two dives per day, and although other divers and myself were very keen on a night dive we were not able to arrange it, in addition only air (no Nitrox) available.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I ended up doing two liveaboards - ProDive and Spirit of Freedom - and would easily recommend both! Loved every minute of it! Thanks to both crews! x:eek:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom