Great Barrier reef tips please!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nikki Busuttil

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hello there - i'm looking to dive the great barrier reef before the end of this year - does anyone have any tips for me - dive company, boats, accommodation, where to leave from etc etc - i'm an experienced diver and female travelling alone - anything i need to watch out for? thanks for any help!! Nikki

It has been a long time for me, but that is where my wife had her first ocean experiences- ah, those were the days... but as to your situation, Mike Ball has always been the class act over there, and you will hardly go wrong working with his boats. I do recommend a liveaboard, as the reef is aways out from shore, and not really well serviced by the dayboats, at least not up in the Cairns area. The Spoilsport was our first liveaboard, and they really showed us how it was done. But, that was several years, and many other liveaboards ago. I would like to get back there, but the combination of that looong flight from LA to Sydney and the souring of the exchange rate has put a damper on this. Perhaps others have more current information? Woody

I concur with the Mike Ball recommendation. I was on the Spoilsport almost 2 years ago, and it was amazing. The boat, the staff, the diving, it was all fabulous. Not cheap, but if you're going all that way it's worth it.

Another vote for
Spoilsport and Mike Ball. I had some concerns about box jelly fish and their tiny cousins but after a bit of study I found that they are in closer to shore (I believe they spawn in or near river mouths) so I knew I wanted to be out a ways. The spoilsport was absolutely the gold standard. Very conciencious (always had a spotter if anyone was in the water), nice rooms, excellent food and an unbelieveable staff to diver ratio. Very easy to buddy up with a divemaster (my wife did not do nearly as many dives as I did) day or night. This was a bit over a yr ago. Enjoy!

also consider spirit of freedom. agree with regarding a liveaboard vs day boat. And the SOF and Mike ball and Taka go to much better sites than the outer reef liveaboards

Hi,
I want to go in september to the australia with Mikeball . And I don't Know what kind of wetsuit tu use, because I think the temperature of water it's 23 C for 4 dive What do you think? The 3 mm o 7mm

Thank for advanced

:)

MA:
also consider spirit of freedom. agree with regarding a liveaboard vs day boat. And the SOF and Mike ball and Taka go to much better sites than the outer reef liveaboards

Hi,
I want to go in september to the australia with Mikeball . And I don't Know what kind of wetsuit tu use, because I think the temperature of water it's 23 C for 4 dive What do you think? The 3 mm o 7mm

Thank for advanced

:)

It all depends on how much you feel the cold ... personally I would be using a 1.5mil, but then I don't feel the cold.

I believe that the locals tend to wear 5mm and us southerners tend to wear less as we are used to cooler temps.

What sort of temps do you normally dive in and what suit do you use??

FWIW, I wore a 5mm wetsuit on that trip, with a beanie, and was comfortable. I do feel the cold more than some, but the Pacific is cooler than the Caribbean, and you will be doing 4-5 dives a day, which sucks the heat right out of you.

Hi Nikki,

From your location, I gather that you are on a long stint travel - either round the world or a backpack trip? Australia will be a fun leg.

You didn't mention your budget but trips in the GBR can vary in price depending on the lengths, type of boat and the level of luxury. I remember doing one travel stint from Thailand to Australia and had a money shock upon arriving in Cairns.

Having some industry experience in that part of the world, the one thing I would say to experienced divers is to avoid the boats that take Open Water courses on liveaboards. The dive schedules are all taylored to the student dives and the "real" divers can end up being a bit of an afterthought.

The central hub for trips to the GBR is Cairns. There are many companies that do trips. My opinion is that you really have to get out into the outer Barrier Reef or up North into the Coral Sea to get the best in marine life and the way to do this is on a longer liveaboard.

I've taken a trip with Taka (TAKA DIVE - Scuba diving and Liveaboard dive trips to Great Barrier Reef). They didn't do OW courses - just certified divers - and covered the highlights. I don't know if they still do but they had standby rates at certain times of the season and it was quite a bit cheaper than the regular rates.

But if you get a chance, also consider doing the Yongala out of Townsville. It's a brilliant dive.

I think Australia - especially the traveller's routes - are really good for solo women travellers. There are many options and on-land attractions. Just watch out for bedbugs in some of those lower-end guesthouses :shocked2:.

Happy travels

Hi Nikki,
I live and work in Cairns as a diver so can definitely point you in the right direction.

I also have a small web site that offers discounts on all the major companies out of Cairns, and I only list ones I have worked with or know personally.

As most of the guys said above, I think the best are Spirit of Freedom, then Taka for shere elegance of the boat. Mike Ball is good, but dated now.

Great service but goes to the same sites as the others and hasn’t updated the boats since late 90s.

For smaller local trips you can’t beat Ocean Quest. Floating hotel!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Discount dive travel to the Barrier Reef and Coral Sea - live aboard and day trips.

Cairns Discount Scuba Diving Trips - Great Barrier Reef

Back
Top Bottom