Great Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am one of those divers who really enjoyed the Blue Hole and would dive it again if I were to go back to Belize. I just find it interesting to dive that site realizing that at one time it was a cave on dry land. We were staying at Turneffe Island Resort and I thought they had a great dive operation. When we arrived at the Blue Hole we had a dive brief and folks were told about the depths you could reach if you decided to follow the DM down to the stalactites. However, folks were told if they didn't want to dive to those depths, they could stay at a more shallow depth and check out the edges of the hole. No one was even remotely pressured to dive deep. I don't remember my exact depth but I think I went to about 140 ft or so.I would be curious to know how many divers have died at that site. If was truly as dangerous as folks make out, you would think there would be at a minimum several deaths each year.
We are looking to be at TIR in July, your description of them is one of reasons we chose them, that and along with of course the location puts you in the better dive sites right off the bat. People dying shouldn't be the measurement of the bar for changes to be made. There is plenty of injury and risk below dying that isn't acceptable.

I have been considering this dive for awhile too. I signed up to do the trip specifically do the two other dives and the fact that the op I'm using offers a shallower version to around 80. Headed there in April/May.

In the end, I'm of the opinion that I do not have deco training and do not feel comfortable doing the bounce dive just to see the rocks. The AL80 concerns me as well.

Originally, my consideration included a pony, but even then. Meh. Not worth it. If I go back with training, a pair of doubles and a buddy in the same, for sure I will enjoy it. But that's a different dive all together.

Thanks for all the differing opinions, in the many threads I've perused, they all have helped me make an informed decision. Since this is the most recent, I'll post here.

We are looking to be at TIR in July, your description of them is one of reasons we chose them, that and along with of course the location puts you in the better dive sites right off the bat.

The resort setting is simply stunning. You'll have a great time. The rooms were beautiful, the food fantastic, and the dive operation was great as well. It's one of those places I need to go back to. Hope you have as good of a time as we did when we stayed there.

The resort setting is simply stunning. You'll have a great time. The rooms were beautiful, the food fantastic, and the dive operation was great as well. It's one of those places I need to go back to. Hope you have as good of a time as we did when we stayed there.
Stop being so negative., dude! :D

It's hard to find something to say that's negative about Turneffe Island Resort.

I stubbed my toe there once. It really hurt.

That's about it.

As far as fatalities at the BH, the only one I'm aware of came from a story in one of the AC newspapers a few years ago. A couple of tech divers found some remains at the bottom of the Hole. Details were skimpy. The story didn't elaborate on what the remains were. Apparently, the divers didn't bring anything up with them. The remains were thought to be that of a dentist from Miami who went missing while diving the BH some ten years before. No other details in the story, if I remember correctly.

And I was there when a staff person from Ramons Village died on their BH trip, but it wasn't during the BH dive itself but the next dive afterwards.

Last edited:
We are looking to be at TIR in July, your description of them is one of reasons we chose them, that and along with of course the location puts you in the better dive sites right off the bat. People dying shouldn't be the measurement of the bar for changes to be made. There is plenty of injury and risk below dying that isn't acceptable.

When in July? Right after the full moon….13th through 17th…that's the time. If you see a high bow panga named Carrot Juice with a blue bimini and a blue stripe down the side….give me a holler.

It would be over the week of July 4th. I've never been able to time a dang dive vacation that works out with the moon yet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom