Great Dive Op in Kona, Big Island.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karenpadi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to give a shout-out to Sandwich Isle Divers in Kona (Big Island). My brother and I did 3 2-tank dives with them last week and I couldn't have been happier. The captain, Steve Myklebust, and our divemasters--Colton and Mary--were great. They run a 6-diver boat (that's right--only 6 divers on the whole boat!) and were very helpful, friendly, etc, etc (pick your fave adjectives for a dive op).

About us: I am a "vacation diver" with about 75 dives throughout Hawaii and the Caribbean using a variety of dive ops/cruises/resorts. I HATE diving with more than 6 people (and no, breaking 30 divers into 5 groups of 6 doesn't count). I had a new BP/W so I knew that the first dive would be rough. My brother is newly certified and was INCREDIBLY nervous about going on a "real" dive. So I knew we needed WAY more attention than we would get on anything larger than a 6-pack.

Our first dive: I spent a good five minutes on the stern trying to figure the d*** harness out (yes, I had practiced, but this was my first time with it attached to a tank). My brother was bobbing in the water trying not to vomit. Other dive masters (who shall remain nameless) would have given up. Instead, Colton lifted my gear about ten times until I finally got everything in the right place. Colton (bless his soul) then went to where my brother was gripping the line, calmed him down, and got him down to 35 feet. It took about 20 minutes of calmly waiting on the line, clearing ears, and being very calm and patient. Incredible.

During the surface interval, my brother then got amazingly seasick (yes, even though he was on Bonine) and Steve was kind enough to drive us back to the dock so he could get off. I have honestly never seen a dive op go to those lengths.

Our next two 2-tank dives: I mastered my equipment and saw some amazing stuff. Mary and Colton were very cool about letting us use our air, finding some cool critters, going slow, and making sure the group wasn't too scrunched up or spread apart. They were able to lead at various experience levels.

My brother made all four dives (based partly on Steve's theory that he was overheated, not seasick). Being a new diver, my brother had poor air consumption, but he raved about spending time on the boat with Steve and I think Steve really made a huge difference in getting him on the next dive and the next dive (that and the Famous Amos cookies). Not many captains I have dove with have that kind of spirit when it comes to scared, seasick, newbie divers.

Steve runs a great dive op! I want to thank Steve, Colton and Mary for their hospitality, kindness, patience, and expertise.

Wow, Karen, I'll admit, they were not even on my radar for a dive op during my upcoming trip to Kona, Maui and Kauai.. but after reading this very in-depth rave, I think that they may have just jumped to the top of the list..

Thank you very much for the information. It's nice to read that such personal service is still out there.. I hope your brother continues his diving..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom