Great dive resorts in Bunaken: Cha Cha, Two Fish, Living Colours, Siladen, or...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharksAreFriends

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm trying to find the perfect base in Bunaken to log my very first open-water dives this July. Which of the following resorts would you say is the most beginner friendly, which has the most knowledgeable & safe guides/instructors, which has the best house reef, which has the best dive boats, which has the best food & accommodations, which offers the best value for money, and who has a nice beach? They all have fantastic reviews on Tripadvisor, and I'm having a hard time choosing!
  • The Village Bunaken
  • Bunaken Island Resort
  • Bunaken Cha Cha
  • Two Fish Bunaken
  • Raja Laut
  • Living Colours
  • Siladen Resort & Spa - is the higher cost justified?

Bunaken is not high on the list for beaches, Siladen is better on that aspect, Siladen resort is the upmarket range but there's also lesser expensive Onong resort on the island.

I have only stayed at Froggies and am more than happy with their service and bungalows and will continue to stay with them esp now the Lembeh op is going. I had friends at living colours who were repeat customers there and also friends who were repeat customers with two fish. I suspect you will like that side of the island more if you are looking for a beach as the one on Froggies and Bastianos side cops all the manado litter even though locals try to keep it picked up.

Siladen jetty is a nice dive spot but I dont know anyone who is stayed there.

I stayed with Living Colours in Aug 08. It was definitely the best food I had in Indonesia and the cabins were wonderful. They had a local guitarist/singer who played during one of the dinners, which made for a really nice night.

I thought the dive guides and organization of the dive op were very good. They took care to group more experienced divers together, dSLR photographers together, etc, to try to get harmonious groups and make divers happy.

The snorkelling out front was excellent and extended for some ways around the island (we spent some time snorkelling with one of our non-diving friends). Can't say anyone dove that area but it might be possible.

When I was there they were taking excellent care of the mangroves that fronted the resort - ie no beach. Made for some interesting views.

All of this info is now 5 years old however. Better to hear from someone who has been more recently.

Thanks for all the tips so far! I'm now debating between Village Bunaken and Two Fish. From Tripadvisor reviews, they seem to offer the best value given my budget and both tick all the boxes. (I've decided that having a beach is not that important; I'm here to dive, not lay on the beach!)

Does anyone have insight on which is more beginner friendly?

We stayed at Cha Cha and the food was probably the best ever in a dive resort and nearly the best ever in Asia. Also you eat with the owners and fellow guests , all fantastic company.

I would rate it as being extremely beginner friendly ....in five days there we saw one lady who had teenage children get her open water. We also saw a lady who was a retiree do her first DSD and loved it so much that she was making plans to come back to do her OW the following year. The reefs are beautiful with many turtles and some sharks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom