Great first two classes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterFritts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Had my first two classes this week and am very pleased. Saturday was all the tests, swim, treading water, underwater swim, etc. I was beat and slept good. Sunday we worked on the scuba part.

I was very pleased with myself on this and wanted to share. I had no problem with anything except where you tilt forward and reach straight behind to find the hose where it connects to the tank and get the 2nd stage back to your mouth. We had already done the sweep method so instead of freaking out when I could not reach it, I did the sweep, took another gulp or two of air and tried again. Took 3 tries (2 sweeps) before I leaned forward enough and was able to get it. I never felt panicky. Bobbie, my instructor was GREAT. He was right there asking if I was ok (well signing if I was ok) and instructing me every step of the way with hand signals.

I also had the 2nd highest air left in the tank at the end so my breathing was not bad at all. Started with 2500 psi and ended with 1600 psi.

Not sure if they check here but the guys at Rhea's Diving in Maryville, TN are incredible.

I found it easier to grab the 2nd stage if I lifted the bottom of the tank up and tilt it to the right. Soon you will get that C-CARD!!!

Glad you are enjoying your scuba training. It really is a great sport, eh?

ruready7 has a good suggestion. When I'm trying to recover my regulator I have my body upright. I lean to the right, I stick my hand back, keeping it close to my body. I then lean forward and sweep my arm out and back to the front.

Another trick is remembering that this is a buddy sport. Ask your buddy if your regulator is caught up on something. Always remember your buddy is there to help (and you are there to help your buddy).

Congratulations and welcome to SB MasterFritts! It sounds like training was a blast, the rest will be just as great. Learn and practice your basic skills and they will serve you well. I see on your profile we share '68 as birth years, and you will see 40 about a month before me. Personally, I can't wait I'm in better shape and a lot wiser than when I was 30! Scuba is unbelievable and you are going to love it, my instructor was also into martial arts. The intensity and discipline you are familiar with already will make you a great diver! Diving is constantly evolving not in just gear but in the possibilities for divers. There are many different locations and just endless opportunities to explore local, national, and international sites. Not to mention caves / caverns. Always dive with in your training and experience but have a blast! Training is just as fun as pleasure diving for me. We learn what we are made of and just who we really are when challenged by new training. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom