Great White in Jax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to fly the annual Right whale aerial surveys conducted by the New England Aquarium and NOAA...

We circled on a large Right whale carcass back in 2005 and after looking at the photos saw a large (16+ ft) great white having a little lunch. This was about 10 miles off the coast, just northeast of Amelia Island.

There are pix on the net of sharks feeding on whales from the Carolinas down.

Tom,what is an Amberjack?
Are they edible?:D

Amberjack are the big dumb fish you see on a wreck - not hard to shoot.
My wife says that the meat is dark and they drop a lot of blood in the water when shot which is not a good combination. Years ago, I was on a boat in WPB with a guy who shot some with this son off Jax and had a GW come by. They left their 3 AJs on the bottom at 115' and headed for the surface thinking they had appeased the shark.
Problem was, the shark came up after them at about 60' in the murk. The guy saw it, butted it with his gun, and continued the ascent.
The safety stop was omitted.
Greater Amberjack, Fish Identification

Wow !! I wonder what the difference in water temp is in Jax, compared to Fort Lauderdale. And do the right whales migrate down past Fort Laud/Miami ? I heard there's been some accidental catching of whites in the Keys before, I havent heard recent though.

Wow that's pretty awesome. Assuming you don't get chomped on it must be quite the experience!

Wow !! I wonder what the difference in water temp is in Jax, compared to Fort Lauderdale. And do the right whales migrate down past Fort Laud/Miami ? I heard there's been some accidental catching of whites in the Keys before, I havent heard recent though.

Not sure exactly how far the whales migrate, but our surveys ended around Cape Canaveral, with the majority of whales sighted between Brunswick GA and St Augustine FL.

I hate it when this topic is brought up. Every now and then on the Florida Sportsman board they post of pic of a massive white shark running under a boat. I know they are out there in the Atlantic and Gulf, but figure if I convince myself they are not there, they dont exist...right? Right?

Please tell me I'm right.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom