Great White in Jax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amberjack are the big dumb fish you see on a wreck - not hard to shoot.
My wife says that the meat is dark and they drop a lot of blood in the water when shot which is not a good combination. Years ago, I was on a boat in WPB with a guy who shot some with this son off Jax and had a GW come by. They left their 3 AJs on the bottom at 115' and headed for the surface thinking they had appeased the shark.
Problem was, the shark came up after them at about 60' in the murk. The guy saw it, butted it with his gun, and continued the ascent.
The safety stop was omitted.
Greater Amberjack, Fish Identification

I think in this instance it was safer for them to get out of the water too!:rofl3::rofl3:
Nice story.

I hate it when this topic is brought up. Every now and then on the Florida Sportsman board they post of pic of a massive white shark running under a boat. I know they are out there in the Atlantic and Gulf, but figure if I convince myself they are not there, they dont exist...right? Right?

Please tell me I'm right.

:D

You can take comfort in this: the one that you cannot see the one that gets you.
If you see them first (sharks in general) they are probably just checking to see if you have anything they want. It is best to asses your situation and take corrective measures to insure you dont get "tasted".

My AV is of a close encounter with a 8' nurse while spearfishing. I poked him away with my speargun but it did elevate my SAC rate!

Matt, got any of those pictures you're talking about? :D

Matt... you have absolutely nothing to worry about - GWs are maneaters and you're a wo..., oops, you're a guy.
Well Matt, I have some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that you'll go almost immediately into shock.

Ok you all are scaring the crap outta me!!! I am scheduled in 3 weeks to do my certification dives in key largo I JUST GOT OVER MY FEAR OF SHARKS!!!! UGH:scream: seriously how likely is it i will encounter one in key largo at the end of december????:jaws:

DesignerDiver, I think your getting worked up over nothing. On my tenth dive I was diving in Key Largo and had the great experience of running into a 8.5 -9' Hammerhead. He came over a coral reef was heading straight for me and my buddy, he got as close as 15 feet away went around me and .... then ate my buddy. It was magical. by the way check out my profile for a shark. The story is actually true, except for my buddy getting eaten. Do some reading on shark behavior to calm your nerves some, you might be surprised.

Designerdiver, a good book to get on shark behavior is Shark Watchers Handbook, sorry I dont have the author right now, kinda in a hurry, off to work in morning,

Designerdiver, a good book to get on shark behavior is Shark Watchers Handbook, sorry I dont have the author right now, kinda in a hurry, off to work in morning,
THANKS ..........it isnt that i am afraid of all sharks just the BIG ones. LOL seriously am just concerned about the more aggressive ones like a great white. so i guess my question was how likely am i to see a GREAT WHITE in key largo in december (or a hammerhead or bull shark for that matter?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom