Great White in Keys, Would You??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now I would think THAT would be a little unnerving. I've been in the water with hundreds of sharks at a time, but I could always see them from afar.

Yeah, that situation - murky water, speared fish - my recommendation would be "LEAVE. NOW."

Cool video. His fishing was cut short lol

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

A neighbor of mine says they saw one near the Vandy last Saturday night. Could very well be the same one as in the video. He said one of the people on the boat took pictures. I'm trying to get my hands on some of them.

As to the jump in, don't jump in. I'll answer that with two questions. 1. How many other divers are jumping in? 2. Day or Night?

Okay, let's go with the lightning example. Would you walk out in a flat field during a thunder storm with plenty of lightning, to get a closer look and some photos?

Getting in the ocean at all entails taking some chances. Knowingly getting into the immediate vicinity of a large great white shark, well, that's another kettle of fish...

Richard.
Well, I snorkeled with an Oceanic Whitetip so I'd say-Yes.

Well, I snorkeled with an Oceanic Whitetip so I'd say-Yes.

so did I, elphinstone reef, southern red sea. so i'd also say yes(without the yellow cressis), I think!

reefman
key largo

Attachments

• red sea.jpg
    red sea.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 124
I don't often do a headfirst negative entry with steel doubles, but the OP's video would probably be one of those occasions. Truly impressive animals, and very unlikely to decide I'm worth interacting with, much less eating.

I would love to see a Great White while diving. I have been around a lot of reef sharks and done the shark feed in Bega Lagoon and also one a Blue Lagoon Beach resort in Fiji when there were lots of Bulls in the water. That said, from what I know I wouldnt be jumping in the water with a GW right there or trying to get out of the water with a GW right there. I would stay the heck away from being on the surface. Deep enough I would feel far safer than on the surface.

A neighbor of mine says they saw one near the Vandy last Saturday night. Could very well be the same one as in the video. He said one of the people on the boat took pictures. I'm trying to get my hands on some of them.

Drat, I was on the Vandy a week before that. Would have loved to see it, although my first reaction would probably be to curse that I didn't have a camera.

I have 70 + pictures of various sharks. There are 4 that I'm ok without a closer look. GW, tiger, bull and oceanic white tip. I've met 3 of them but none close up and I'm absolutely ok with that. Sometimes I waiver a bit but up to now I've been satisfied with what I've experienced. Tiger beach is not on my bucket list.

I got circled by a Oceanic White Tip (10ft) for 3-4 minutes in the Red Sea whilst on a safety stop - it felt like a very long time.

No way in hell was I going up to the surface - this was just after he had 'bumped' the dive boat ladder...

I wouldn't want to be on the surface with 'any' apex predator just below me.

---------- Post added July 17th, 2013 at 09:30 AM ----------

Oh, & yes I would have lowered myself gently into the water for the chance to see no 1.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom