Great white off of Ship Rock, Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you say that, Billy? Sounds to me like the GW was approaching to take a closer look and was scared away by a dive light.

Ah, gotcha!

He was back today! About 8' long. I was on the Magician boat, first dive of the day at about 9:15AM. On the West side of the rock at 140'. He came swimming by and when the distance got to about 30', I shined my light at him, he swam away at a very fast speed. This was my first encounter!

You are one of the only divers on this board that I know to have encountered a GWS while on scuba...

It really amazes me that you encountered him at 140 feet, just goes to show you that the GWS has only been documented on the surface because that is where the majority of time is spent for researchers...

With video cameras now entering the underwater world with every other diver, I am counting the days where here on this board, a diver reports catching the elusive fish on a 30 sec clip and post it on youtube...

Will probably be purchased by the BBC/Discovery channel for rights to airing it on their networks, up to this date I have never seen video footage by a California scuba diver filming this majestic creature.

I hope I get to see that day come in my lifetime as a diver. Wish you had a video camera instead of your HID that day, or well let's just say I wish you had on you the video camera and chose to use it that day at 140 feet.

Just amazing... congrats....

Mike G

Actually one of the favored cruising depths for GWSs is about 150 feet according to the reports I've read. And they also go very deep as well. Much of this comes from telemetry of course.

The one that passed by Wyland and I when we were buddied up to film giant sea bass was at about 70-80- feet if memory serves me correctly.

They are also seen by landlubbers in that region (near the quarry and dump) of the island cruising at the surface.

He was back today! About 8' long. I was on the Magician boat, first dive of the day at about 9:15AM. On the West side of the rock at 140'. He came swimming by and when the distance got to about 30', I shined my light at him, he swam away at a very fast speed. This was my first encounter!

I was also at Catalina Saturday diving off the Great Escape but fortunately, I brought the shark repellent - a video camera.

It was kinda funny that we spent some time discussing the GW's near Catalina on the way over - but always with a little trepidation. I hope to see one one day, but in the back of my mind a little voice says, "You'll be fine if you never see one while not safely inside a cage.". :wink:

I just think of it this way... I wouldn't got hang out near a pride of lions, i definitely wouldn't go near the water of a croc... but i do swim with sharks and LOVE IT!... though not a GW... yet :)

I've seen documentaries on Discovery channgel where director/producer Jeff Kurr show scuba divers at about 45 feet swimming among 5 great white sharks at one time...

They are trying to find tonic imobility with the great fish but find that it's not possible while at depth, due to the danger involved with the massive jaws....

That episode marks the only time I saw scuba gear alongside this majestic beast...

I've heard and read countless stories of divers here in California and specifically Monterey/Carmel come in contact with him, literally on some accounts the shark under depth bumped a couple divers, makes for an eerie encounter but one worth talking for life...

Imagine if that bump got filmed on camera, according to reports, among the GWS of California, Australia, and South Africa, we have the priviledge of swimming in the waters where they are the largest, probably because of the abundant large marine mammals that can fuel these giant beast...

I'm counting those days, who will be that diver? And it probably won't be this renowed research diver with decades of dives and data. It will most likely be, Joe the diver who got to try out his new BCD with his Canon waterhousing on his depth dive at 45 feet of water, just outside the kelp bed among a large sandy clearing in 20 feet of viz...

Wow, can hardly wait for Joe the diver to catch this majestic animal on film....

Last edited:
As Dave (Teamcasa) and I have said, carrying a camera is the surest way NOT to see a great white. Cameras are considered insurance that you will not see one. The one time I had one swim by close enough, my camera was focused on the giant sea bass in the other direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom