Great White Photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saw 15 different GWS at Guadalupe on a scientific expedition back in 2005. Back then Jean-Michel's son Fabien Cousteau was filming his special on them for CBS and they did some dives out-of-the-cage. When JMC was in South Africa (late 90's?), he free dove with Andre Hartmann and the great whites uncaged and even hitched a ride on one. I was amazed when he told me about the experience.

We know there are GWS out here in Catalina waters, and I'm sure they've been watching me at several dive locations (and decided I wasn't worth the effort). One of our local videographers tried to film the GWS at Sea Fan Grotto/Empire Landing Quarry but it retreated when he advanced with his camera.

We've not had a verified attack on a diver in many years, but kayakers and paddleboarders have had their modes of conveyance chewed up on occasion.

As 'out-of-cage' GWS experiences are publicized, I suspect the seasoned, dedicated, knowledgable and skilled pioneers will give way to 'less so' type divers - thrill-seeking passengers on charter boat op.s.

Which suggests that sooner or later, one of these divers is going to 'freak out,' panic and bolt for the surface.

While these sharks don't seem prone to attack stationary humans in clear water conditions, has there been any experience with how they react to rapidly fleeing divers?

Fleeing prey can exacerbate prey drive in dogs; wonder what it does to Great Whites?

Richard.

As 'out-of-cage' GWS experiences are publicized, I suspect the seasoned, dedicated, knowledgable and skilled pioneers will give way to 'less so' type divers - thrill-seeking passengers on charter boat op.s.

Which suggests that sooner or later, one of these divers is going to 'freak out,' panic and bolt for the surface.

While these sharks don't seem prone to attack stationary humans in clear water conditions, has there been any experience with how they react to rapidly fleeing divers?

Fleeing prey can exacerbate prey drive in dogs; wonder what it does to Great Whites?

Richard.
Good question. Gotta get someone to put a bite wrap on and try it.

I've heard that divers who attempt to swim away from large sharks may be followed, while those that "stand" and face them or drop to the bottom may not. I can't personally verify any of that as I've never had a large shark come at me except for the huge tiger shark that bumped my kayak in the Sea of Cortez back in the early 70s.

Dr. Bill being a Californian where White Sharks are around is spot on with his observations........Most "bumps" and even "bites" have been on surface folks, surfboards, pinnipeds (Seals, Sea Lions, Elephant seals), etc. Not submerged scuba divers to my knowledge...

I'm sure as Richard also suggests "OOTC" or Out Of The Cage experiences while done by experienced film makers has been done safely wouldn't make sense for those seeking to gain bragging rights at the bar and may be outright dangerous.....Which is why the cage experiences are still standard and deliver wonderful photo opportunities.

One other comment and this is based on my early trips now a decade old......My personal opinion is they are marvelous WILD animals and should be respected as such.

Most White Sharks migrating past Isla Guadalupe and on up the CA coast were younger males 10-12' long when I first went 2002 - 2003. It was surmised they were chasing large tuna and other migrating fish. Plus the younger sharks were possibly not well versed in attacking and killing pinnipeds that are numerous at Guadalupe. Sea Lions, Guadalupe Fur Seals and Elephant Seals are all at Guadalupe.

The photos below show early brown foam and white "shag carpet" sea lion decoys. For days we floated these behind the boat with bait. This resulted in only one shark doing a "test bite" on "Harry" the white Berber Carpet decoy.

He immediately spit it out proving White sharks know food from crap!!!!!! He DID bump it many times cautiously but only committed to his "taste bite" after 2 days if memory serves me correctly.

Back in 2002 - 2003 the larger females would tend to arrive Oct. - Nov. One theory was this was when the Elephant Seals were beginning to have their pups and I believe years later some breaches and attacks on pinnipeds were observed at Guadalupe.

Both Doc Anes and Jessie Harper (in the decoy photos) deserve a huge amount of credit for documenting the individual animals there before many subsequent researchers used their data to continue research on the White Shark population at Guadalupe plus migrations up the Pacific coast.

If you get the chance to go, DO IT............It'll be one true adventure of your life :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• DSC_0029emailcopy.jpg
    DSC_0029emailcopy.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_0096emailcopy.jpg
    DSC_0096emailcopy.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC_2644copy.jpg
    DSC_2644copy.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Great pictures, it seems risky, though. The type of thing that can go well 100 times, but then something occurs in the mind of the shark, and it doesn't anymore. Of course the public's fear of sharks is completely overblown, but these are a species which has sometimes killed humans.

You know, we can admire the knowledge, skill and courage of the folks doing this (who have proper knowledge, skill and training rather than being recklessly idiotic), and I do...but I took another look at the photo in the original post, and if we heard that the guy in the photo got eaten next week, that photo would be showing up on this forum & elsewhere with a caption like:

Darwin Award Winner!

Reminds me of the some of the threads where people discuss some of the riskier aspects of the scuba hobby, like very deep diving on air, and talk about acceptable vs. reckless risk, and how knowing several people who did it without any evident problems doesn't mean it's not a foolish risk to take. Then I think about that pic of the guy hovering serenely with his arms crossed while a big GWS cruises by (seemingly at him, though I believe the shark is closer to the photographer, so not in the same plane).

I hope nobody gets hurt, for the humans' and sharks' sake, and I admire their guts.

Richard.

I agree a bit with Richard as to just because something with wild animals goes OK many times doesn't mean it can't blow up the next.....

My fear after years of diving is also echoed by him. People who think they "know" enough to do something safely are too often encouraged to take on risky experiences without the hours they should already have leading up to taking such a risk.

I go hot and cold about if I had the opportunity would I get out and swim in open CLEAR water such as at Guadalupe. Pro film makers usually have HUGE camera housing between them and ANY shark too.......

As silly as it sounds these million year evolved predators can't afford to risk getting injured and can be put off by someone being a bit aggressive if they approach you. So having a BIG housing set up can be an advantage as long as you SEE THEM COMING.....

I guess time will tell if OOTC" (Out OF The Cage) experiences become more common.

Me?

I'm pretty happy with my experiences and photos from INSIDE a cage :)

David Haas

www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• DSC_2645emailcopy.jpg
    DSC_2645emailcopy.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC_2802emailcopy.jpg
    DSC_2802emailcopy.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_2995BWemail.jpg
    DSC_2995BWemail.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 58