Great White Shark caught off Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
BUT...even by accounts of the story, it was out in the channel. We dive the reefs and I highly doubt even if there were a great white in Cozumel/Cancun/Tulum waters that it would be swimming about the reefs.

I do know for certain that there are makos, bulls, tigers and hammerheads out in the deep blue water in the channel and where they fish, but we don't see them on the reefs.

From what I know about diving around Coz, you are much more likely (don't get me wrong, it is not a common site at all) to see Bull sharks around Playa de Carmen than Coz. After all, what does a big shark really have to eat around a reef, most of the fish are pretty small, (someone is thinking "people" right now) so it is not an environment that supports big predators feeding on a regular basis.

I have read the books (there are actually more than 1) on the events of 1916? at Matawhatever creek. I don't believe that the remains found in the "great white" caught were ever truelly confirmed as those of any of the victims. I don't think that the main medical investigators got a look at it, but I could be wrong on that. There was definitely some conjecture that they scapegoated the shark to ease public fear and bolster the hurting NJ tourist industry. There is still a lot of conjecture, which I would tend to agree more with, that it was a big bull shark, not a great white, due to the lack of salinity, as far up the creek as the shark travelled and the length of time a white shark could survive, let alone have "feeding" be its primary evolutional drive, when it is dying from its own biological cells bursting. The bull shark theory makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom