Grecian video May 5 2007

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again Fin of One, Great Footage!!!!!!!!

I look forward to seing more in the future. We dont have a lot of good wreck footage published from NE.

Thanks again for sharing.

Looks like you guys had some great vis. I wanted to get out yesterday so bad but i had to work. That was a great video.

Belmont:
Very nice clip. Can you give some background info on that wreck?
Thank you

Belmont

The steamer Grecian was built in 1900. She was 265 feet long had a 42 foot beam and displaced 2,827gross tons.

The Grecian left Boston with a general cargo. Bound for Baltimore on May 27, 1932 the Grecian and the City of Chattanooga crashed in a pea soup fog off Block Island. The Chattanooga's Captain reported "We were almost stopped at the time of the crash. The Grecian was going to cross our bow. She loomed up out of the fog about two minutes before the collision. We put our engines into reverse, but it was too late. The Grecian went down within only five minutes taking four of her crew to their graves.

The Grecian wreck now sits in 100 feet of water. Capt Eric Takakjian reports that the wreck is low lying. Her bow is intact and sits on its starboard side. Sand at this site moves quite a bit. This wreck can and does get covered and uncovered repeatedly depending on weather conditions. Average visibility ranges from 30 to 40 feet and their is usually little current.

eastcoastdiver:
I havent posted on this board in a long long time. I just have to say i real enjoyed your little video. I forgot that the grecian was 680' deep.:rofl3: I love the grecian, great wreck. I was on the seaturtle sat ,you guys where leaving when we got there.

Nice day eh? I was the tall blonde guy on the other boat that was yelling back and forth with you guys about the conditions as we were dropping the mooring for you and pulling away. :D

eastcoastdiver:
I havent posted on this board in a long long time. I just have to say i real enjoyed your little video. I forgot that the grecian was 680' deep.:rofl3: I love the grecian, great wreck. I was on the seaturtle sat ,you guys where leaving when we got there.

Is the seaturtle a charter boat?

Back
Top Bottom