Greetings from Alabama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erickpl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got my start into scuba on a last minute vacation to Hawaii, where we did the snuba diving at Molokini. I knew then that I had to get certified!

Got back to work and that first day back, a sign said "Scuba classes starting soon!" Well, it was soon all right! THAT NIGHT!

That was back in 2003. Did my open water and advanced open water dives out at Lake Mead near Vegas. THAT was an experience like diving in mud. I decided then that clear water diving was my preference! lol

Did a few dives in Barbados and St. Maarten on a cruise. Barbados was meh, but the St. Maarten dive was VERY scenic with great reef life and lots of fish varieties, including reef sharks and sting rays. Great way to get used to it!

Moved to Alabama and got my Rescue Certification in Huntsville and did an open water dive on the Oriskany in 2006, a few months after she was sunk off Pensacola. VERY nice micro dive to see the new life coming to it!

Since moving to Alabama, my wife and I have made 4 trips to Bonaire and we LOVE that the whole island is a marine park! Not much in the way of larger fish in the calmer waters, but the reef life is INCREDIBLE. Squid, sea turtles, octopi, eel, tarpon, barracuda, eagle rays, angels, and a whole slew make it fun! Just wish I had better photography equipment. Gotta fix that!

I've had the dream to dive at Roatan, Palau, Fiji, some parts of Hawaii, and perhaps Thailand some day.

Even did a dive up in Bonne Terre mines in Missouri. CRYSTAL clear water, but a dry suit would have been MUCH more comfortable. 7mm farmer johns just don't cut it in 57 degree water when you have holes in the crotch and armpits!!!! :shocked2::shocked2::shocked2: That was a great experience though!

Our most recent dive was a trip to Georgia Aquarium where we dove in the tank with their 4 whale sharks, hammerheads, manta rays, and other large fish. Seeing the kids on the other side of the gallery window jump up and down, wave, and point really made for a special treat. But beware, it isn't cheap. It's a totally unique experience though! Even have a DVD of that!

Anyway, while I'm not blowing bubbles, I hope to learn more from you folks here. New techniques, new dive sites, new equipment, and generally make some friends.

I'm thinking I found the right spot!

Just a few of my photos from my subpar system with weak flash/strobe..

IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0357.jpg

IMAG0274.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

IMG_0969.jpg

Welcome to SB Paul :D

great write up with your intro to diving. Fiji and Palau are def on my list along with the Red Sea. keep in touch and safe diving!

Kim

Welcome to SB...I've always wanted to visit Alabama :D

Enjoy

BA

Welcome to SB...I've always wanted to visit Alabama :D

Enjoy

BA

Somehow, I detect some sarcasm in that comment. lol

Alabama is kind of a mess right now - lots of cleaning up from the tornadoes in late April.

Welcome. I'm from North Alabama and I have lots of family and friends in Huntsville and the surrounding area. My sister and her husband live in Huntsville. We're looking at making some exotic dive trips with one planned for this fall. We all agreed that the gents could dive and the ladies, who are not divers yet (we're working on that!), could provide surface support (so to speak).

Somehow, I detect some sarcasm in that comment. lol

Alabama is kind of a mess right now - lots of cleaning up from the tornadoes in late April.

Haha :rofl3:..not at all..I really want to visit Alabama someday :D...but obviously not during Tornado season :cool2:

I've always had this dream of driving in Alabama with the song " Sweet Home Alabama" playing in the background :dork2:

Btw...nice pics :D

BA

Back
Top Bottom