Greetings from East Timor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Besides, diving is an adventure sport - and East Timor is an adventure. You can dive in the newest country in the world at dive sites where you might be the only team there that day, or perhaps the only ones who have been there for the last two weeks! There are still many areas to explore as well. Nick and I just got back from an exploratory dive on his kayak, diving in an area that no one dives in because of access.

Greg

Thanks calypsonick for the link... Gulp, $25 US for a room per nite as the cheapest? even at 1/2 price this is out of my range. How about tank prices? I have all my gear (except tanks) and have a hard time affording more than $10-15 per dive if am spending a few weeks diving twice a day or more (read scuba bum). I will admit that I haven't done any further research on prices and expect there must be somewhere to stay on a backpackers budget? Heck, I spend plenty of time living in a tent! I would rather spend my sweat on diving vs clean sheets. Anyway, thanks for the reply. Nice photos. I am still very interested in heading your way. I like diver greg's post, sounds like fun to me! It should be easy to skip from Manila to Dili for a month or so?

Hi, I am from Malaysia. Recently an article about diving in the local news gave high ratings to the dive sites in Timor Leste. It mentioned about the rates and I found it to be high compared to diving in Sipadan & Layang-layang, these being two of our best and most expensive sites. I have bookmarked your website - hope to make it to Timor as soon as I have saved enough for at least a week's stay.

diver-greg:
I have been lurking on the Scuba Board for quite some time, and have learned a great deal from the experience of many of its members. I decided that its time I actually started posting some messages. So, here is a brief introduction.

I have been working in East Timor for almost two years, but my permanent home is in South Carolina. Last year I was certified as a NAUI Divemaster, #41709, but I have just successfully completed an IANTD instructor development program and am waiting for my instructor number.

My day job is working with the public broadcasting service of East Timor (radio and TV).

We are very lucky to be here in East Timor, although work and life can be challenging in this, the newest country in the world. The diving is incredible. We have more than 25 dive sites within an hour's drive of the capital, and they are all easy shore entries. Within a few meters of shore we are able to drop down onto beautiful reefs with tons of fish.

Come see us in East Timor - a real diving adventure.

Greg
Hi Greg. Being so close to Timor, I've been thinking of going there, to do some diving, and to see the country. Is there any waY to get to the indo islands North of Timor. I've tried to find out from Australia, but with no luck.
Pat

Yeoh Chee Weng:
Hi, I am from Malaysia. Recently an article about diving in the local news gave high ratings to the dive sites in Timor Leste. It mentioned about the rates and I found it to be high compared to diving in Sipadan & Layang-layang, these being two of our best and most expensive sites. I have bookmarked your website - hope to make it to Timor as soon as I have saved enough for at least a week's stay.
Yeoh,

The tourist industry is still young here in Timor. Many of the lower cost hotels do not have the resources to widely advertise and therefore you are probably only getting information from the higher end places. There are a number of small hotels here that are more affordable. Come and you'll find something in your price range. If you bring your gear you can get tanks 20 fills for $150 (comes to $7.50 per fill). Is this much higher than in Malaysia?

Nick

Hi Greg, glad to hear from a neighbor.
A friend of mine rowed his sea kayak fom Darwin to Dili, to raise money for a foundation that is helping the Timorese, did you hear about his amazing feat?
I want to come to East Timor, to do some diving and see the country and it's people. Also, I want to try to get to the Indo Islands North of ET, is that possible? I can't get the ifo here in Aus.
Cheers, Pat.A.

pataussiediver:
Also, I want to try to get to the Indo Islands North of ET, is that possible? I can't get the ifo here in Aus.
Cheers, Pat.A.
Pat,

We can see the islands of Alor, Wetar, and Kisar from the north coast of Timor. We talk about planning a boat trip to check out the diving, but have yet to go. There are no regular direct means of transportation from Timor to these islands. We do go to the East Timor island of Atauro, just north of Dili and it is home of some very spectacular walls.

In order to get to Alor you can go overland from East Timor to Kupang in West Timor and then take a ferry to Alor. There is an Indonesian embassy here in Dili where you can get your tourist visa for Indonesia. The visa takes one week to process.

I hope this helps. But, once you have tried Timor you may not want to go elsewhere. The diving here is great!!

Welcome!!~ Poke around, do a search- you will be suprised at the wealth of info available.

This board is THE authority when it comes to info and being able to ask/answer questions.

Back
Top Bottom