Greetings from Guantanamo Bay, CUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to the Board. I've heard from foreign Nationals that the diving in Cuba is fantastic. One of the reasons is the Cubans have been unable to turn the Island into a tourist mecca for American travelers.

More importantly Thank you for your service from a grateful American.

CPT D,
I was there on TDY while waiting for a boat loaded with drugs to leave Jamaica. I was assigned to a DEA Task Force and we intercepted the boat using the USCG Station there and then towed it back to the base until which time I could fly the 1500 lbs back to the states while my partner flew the prisoners back.

Anyway while I was there for the month I did get in several dives. I went down to the Diving Platform near the Girl Scout camp and to Cable Beach once. Is the Blond gal at the dive shop who was nicknamed "Dive Bunny" still there? The water there is unspoiled and so beautiful. When I was there they had the boat traffic locked down to inside the bay only. It would have been nice to travel around along the shore line outside the bay for some other dives.

Wildbill:cop_2:

Hey Gang,

Ok..today's stats..Air Temp was 90 to 96 depending on where You stand. We hit the water and braced ourselves for the 86 degree surface temp. At 20 ft. We were at 85 degrees..brrrr..then We followed our descent to 50ft/82 degrees and at 106ft/82 degrees and We bailed at 130ft/81 degrees..just couldn't stand the cold anymore.

I'm sure, based on the thread everyone has some questions.
1. MWR does indeed run the Dive Shop and Instructors
2. There is only one dive shop (Ocean Enterprises)
3. No, You can't teach unless Your like Me and end up there.
4. We have one dive club REEF RAIDERS-CUBA
5. We have Decompression Chambers
6. We have two compressors one at the Dive Shop one at the club.
7. No mixes
8. No Rebreathers
9. Base Regulations for everything. Depth and Night Dives
10. I love to break Regulations...

Let Me know if I can answer anymore questions. When I return statestide My Dive Buddy and I can sponsor people when We get to know You. We have an in..LOL

CPT D

Wildbill:
CPT D,
I was there on TDY while waiting for a boat loaded with drugs to leave Jamaica. I was assigned to a DEA Task Force and we intercepted the boat using the USCG Station there and then towed it back to the base until which time I could fly the 1500 lbs back to the states while my partner flew the prisoners back.

Anyway while I was there for the month I did get in several dives. I went down to the Diving Platform near the Girl Scout camp and to Cable Beach once. Is the Blond gal at the dive shop who was nicknamed "Dive Bunny" still there? The water there is unspoiled and so beautiful. When I was there they had the boat traffic locked down to inside the bay only. It would have been nice to travel around along the shore line outside the bay for some other dives.

The Diving Platform is still there..Actually Brand New..The Girl Scout Camp has no Girl Scouts.."Dive Bunny's" frequent the Dive Shop..Outnumbered by the 8000 Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard Men here..LOL..I dove Cable Beach today as a matter of fact. Your right, it's a diver's paradise..No Boats allowed in the Dive Area's. Gotta love the Navy on that one

cancun mark:
Hi Captain welcome to the board.

I have a question:

I found a weird situation with Guantanamo bay. I asked PADI if I could teach PADI courses in Cuba, and they said no except for on the american army bases, because of the sanctions.

This means I cant teach peace loving cuban nationals, but I can teach Afgani Al Qaida terrorists.

The logic of this foriegn policy evades me, can anyone throw any light on this?
Hi Mark,

Sorry, We have no Cuban Nationals, and the Al Qaida is not doing any diving here. Our PADI instructors are all Navy or sponsored individuals. With the size of the community there is no real need for instructors here. We don't exactly live like You do in the U.S. There is no local economy for anyone not working here in the military. IE..You don't come down here and rent a house. The rest..well, politics my dear friend. Remeber, We are locked down. We don't travel to Havannah on the weekends. Those days are gone. Those on the base...stay on the base until You rotate stateside. Just to shed some light..Take Care

CPT D :42: :42:

I know what you mean by not being able to travel off base. I didn't realize this until I was there, Thank Goodness I was only there about a month. But at least you have the nice McDonald's there in beautiful Downtown GTMO :jestera: :jestera:
When I was there one of the girls running the dive shop next to the PX was a blond and the NCIS guys I buddied up with had nicknamed her the "Dive Bunny".

The one pain in the Arse that we had to contend with was that we were housed on the Air Terminal side, can't remember if that was windward or leeward so we had to plan our day around that darn Ferry.

I remember that there were amazing reefs out off the dive platform areas and a section that formed like a large canyon with reef walls where you could swim down the middle, it was the best diving I have ever been on and may never get back there again. But at least I can say I have done it once.

Be safe, and Thank-You and all the Military personell there that are babysitting our Taliban guests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom