Guam hotel question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rongoodman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a call from Delta yesterday saying they will no longer be flying into Palau by the time I go in September. I got moved onto a United flight from Japan which will put me into Guam after midnight, and I'll leave from there about 1930 the next day. Looking for a recommendation for someplace convenient to stay during the layover. Also, will I have to take possession of my checked luggage and re-check it for the final leg of the flight, or will the airline retain control over it until it gets to Palau? Thanks.

Assume that you need to reclaim and then re-check your own bags through when flying internationally and switching airline carriers, especially with layovers more than four hours.

Many airlines have interline agreements meant to make the transition of luggage ownership easier, but not all airlines have these contracts in place. Suggest contact each airline -Delta & United- by phone to verify if they have an interline agreement for Japan (Tokyo Narita Int'l Airport ?). United takes control from Tokyo and should give you the option to check your luggage through to Guam for your overnight stay, OR all the way through to Palau.

For a hotel, do a web search for "short stay Guam hotel" for something that has full 24hr shuttle pick-up and drop-off. Something like Guam Airport Hotel , (but they only have drop-off shuttle service).

Better yet, is there an option to get a refund from Delta, and then re-book a continuous & seamless route on United from New York with either one short stopover in a hub like Houston, Denver, Los Angeles or San Francisco, and then the long Trans-Pacific haul to Honolulu, Guam and then final destination Palau?

Last edited:
Sounds like Kevrumbo has several good ideas. There are several hotels in Tumon. The Hilton is on the south end of "hotel row" not that close to restaurants, etc. Look for something on the north end . Closer to shops and restaurants etc.

Thanks for the information. I'll contact Delta about the luggage. They're willing to offer a refund, but when I booked the flight, the alternatives were all considerably longer. As it stands, I'll only be getting to the Palau Agressor about 5 hours later than I would have.

After a little research it appears that my choices are to leave the trip as scheduled, trusting Delta/United to handle the baggage transfer properly and having 18 hours to rest up before getting on the boat, or rebook with United to leave Sat morning and get to the boat on Sunday evening, more straightforward but no extra down time.

The embarkation and itineraries of the Palau and Truk Liveaboards have always been scheduled to that old Continental Micronesia -now United- late night weekend arrival from the Guam Hub. Sometimes the United Honolulu to Guam leg gets in late around 1900h, but United can hold their Palau/Truk departures from Guam for as long as 30min for late baggage transfer and rush passenger TSA and Immigration boarding pass screening facilitated by United gate agents pointing the way through Guam's Won Pat Int'l Airport.

I got a call from Delta yesterday saying they will no longer be flying into Palau by the time I go in September. I got moved onto a United flight from Japan which will put me into Guam after midnight, and I'll leave from there about 1930 the next day. Looking for a recommendation for someplace convenient to stay during the layover. Also, will I have to take possession of my checked luggage and re-check it for the final leg of the flight, or will the airline retain control over it until it gets to Palau? Thanks.

I spent the night in Guam on the way to Palau in December. I flew United all the way thru but preferred spending the night in Guam instead of Tokyo. The airport is very close to Tumon where all the hotels are right on the beach. I stayed at the Westin for $130 including breakfast. I got in fairly late too, got a good night sleep, had a good breakfast, got a massage and spent the day on the beach. You can get cheaper hotels too so enjoy the beach and skip the airport hotel. I was on the Palau Aggressor and spent a couple of days in Palau before and after the boat. Let me know if you need any info on Palau.

Thanks for the info, but I ended up re-booking on United all the way through, so no layovers. I'll get to Palau and go to the boat on Sunday evening.

They must’ve changed the schedule because when I went in December you had to spend the night in Tokyo or Guam on the way. The diving is spectacular, you will love it. Check out the video I made- and th one right after this is the video of the boat made for us.

if you are able to get the honululu to guam flight, there is no overnight layover. it is the tokyo-guam route that has a layover issue for palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom