gue accepting certs from another organisation, experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, my question opened up another can of worms. I've never donned a dry suit or doubles before. Should I go ahead and take an outside dry suit specialty class before I sign up for Fundamentals?

Like said above, the only thing you need to take into fundies is an open mind and familiarity with the equipment you are diving now! No use going into fundies with a cable light, drysuit or doubleset if you are not yet accustomed diving that equipment. During my fundies a while back one of the guys in my team had less than 5 dives on a double set and of course it showed (he basically lended it from his girlfriend who was already T1-C1 at that time). He got a provisional... and took the full course again a year later after having dived a lot in his drysuit and doubles and got a tec rating on 2nd try.

My wife will take fundies this spring... she's a diver since 2008 and has about 400 dives in and finally bit the bullet. So I put her in a drysuit, and put her in a bp/wing, setup her gear, gave her my old cable light, set her up with new heavy jetfins, etc... And it works... I won't drill with her, just dive... but by the time she's doing fundies she'll have 50 dives in her new gear... and will enjoy it.

So no advantage in having both. It's better to shoot straight for Tech Pass. Thanks.
My advice: aim for a very good training, learn new skills and see what level comes out. Fundies is very different from other certifications imo. You really have to earn your cert. No matter how experienced you may be, these instructors will push you to your edge and beyond. Those four days were more intense than all the rest of my training but made me a much better diver than I could ever have imagined on forehand.

Hmmm, my question opened up another can of worms. I've never donned a dry suit or doubles before. Should I go ahead and take an outside dry suit specialty class before I sign up for Fundamentals?

I'd recommend that you do what I did:
1. Fundies in wetsuit and single tank - Rec pass
2. GUE Drysuit class
3. GUE Doubles class
4. Practice fundies skills a lot in Tec configuration
5. Fundies Tec pass check out dive

GUE instructors LOVE you

That's a lot of classes...

Haha, well, 3 classes. But I was quite rough and inexperienced, I needed the training and lots of practice in between.

GUE instructors LOVE you

That's a lot of classes...

CDub isn't telling us, but they love him so much that they're giving him a commission for every class that he refers us to :p

Hey Cdub, free helium for sending students my way.........

Getting back to the original question: I also know a GUE diver who skipped T1 and got a waiver to go straight to T2. Fact that he was already C2 and normoxic Tx from another agency might have alleviated some concerns :)

I skipped T1 and went straight to t2. i had no gue cave training

i guess i was just really good at diving :)

i believe the requirements are all listed in the gue standards and practices

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom