• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

GUE (and other non-PADI) Open Water Standards for No-Deco Limits

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by diver42, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Storker

Storker ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    I'm not an instructor, but that looks a lot like a serious breach of standards to me.

PADI claims that their OW is ISO 24801-2 compliant, and ISO 24801-2 is the standard for "Recreational Scuba Diver Level 2 Autonomous diver". If a student is certified without ever having planned a dive or even been taught how to monitor their bottom time and NDL, I can't understand that they in any way can be considered "autonomous".

Competencies and qualifications - EUF Certification

In my country, we have national regulations for sport diver education. Among other things, the regulations require a minimum of six open water dives over a minimum of three days, and the student is required to be able to monitor their bottom time and be aware of what their NDL is. When I took my OW, the last two dives were planned by the student and only supervised by the instructor or a DM.

2. 1atm

1atm DIR Practitioner

Oh sure we did plan a dive using tables during the course. But on subsequent dives, especially post course dives, this wasn’t the case. And as a fresh OW diver with a grand total of 4 dives during the OW class, you don’t challenge the dive shop when they tell you it’s a super easy dive, just follow the dive master, he will take care ... but I guess that’s a topic for a different thread.

3. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Regular of the Pub

You aren't doing an "autonomous" dive, you're diving below your training level, so?

Seriously though, not everyone is at home in the water after those 4 dives and diving in group led by someone experienced may be just the confidence building experience they need. And if they get stuck in that mode and never do any autonomous diving... well, OK, so if their whole group is swallowed by the Big White Whale and they're having a medical emergency while being OOG underwater, they may have a problem.

4. Magnus Lundstedt

Magnus Lundstedt Divemaster

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    It depends what algorithms/table you use. I actualy got a sealing after 17-18 minutes at 30 meter as a square profile.

5. Dan_P

Dan_P DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    At UTD, Min Deco for NDL-dives.

6. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Which table show NDL of 17 min at 30m?

7. seeker242

seeker242 DIR Practitioner

Never seen a table show that, but a shearwater rec mode on the highest conservatism setting will give 17 min.

8. blake7

blake7 DIR Practitioner

That is GFs at work. See Post #79 and Post #101.

9. taimen

taimen Rebreather Pilot

That setting is GF 35/75. Tec mode default 30/70 would give you even shorter NDL.

10. Magnus Lundstedt

Magnus Lundstedt Divemaster

Plan mode in Subsurface, Buhlman deco, 30/70

Plan mode in my computers show about the same.