GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DevonDiver
Do you think GUE will be able to set a good standardized gear or will it be better to know how to us various (at least the good one) Sidemount system?

There's really only cosmetic, or minor, differences between most of the main sidemount rigs...especially the English/Mexican style.

I've got 6 rigs.... each configured to work identically, fit identically etc..

You wouldn't have to specify an individual brand or model....GUE dont even do that with backmount.

You'd simply have to outline the principles that the gear had to meet... and the performance expected.

Much of the existing Hogarthian/DIR/GUE principles can be translated to sidemount.

There's only a few principles that can't...primarily the 'donate from mouth'... and that's what's sent UTD and ISE into an embarrassing tumble looking for solutions. GUE were clever to be reticent.

What's the point to Recreational Sidemount?

Who said there had to be a point to anything and everything?

The point is whatever you want it to be.

What's the point of going in caves? Or diving to 100m? Or diving on a coral reef?

The justification is whatever the user decides it to be.... for themselves.

I dive sidemount recreational because:

1. I love the feeling of freedom and maneuverability; especially being able to twist and rotate across the spine/hips, unencumbered by a rigid backplate or tanks.

2. I want to take redundant gas for dives below 30ft....which is the max depth I have practiced and am confident/comfortable ascending from without gas.

3. I keep my equipment familiarity high by using the same configuration on every dive... which means I'm not in familiarity deficit when doing much higher level dives.

4. I've severely injured my spine, ribs, shoulders, hands, lower limbs on numerous occasions in my life. Not having to carry heavy equipment is a particular benefit... especially as diving is my day-to-day work.

Last edited:
Objectively again, the point is as a means to retain the DIR Long Hose Paradigm, the UTD Z-system is currently the only way to mechanically achieve this in sidemount. It remains to be seen if GUE chooses to develop this late in the game, a better more elegant gas distribution to reg solution to go along with the Halcyon Contour sidemount harness. (IMHO, I'm not sure there is. . .).

Cylinder plug-in QC4's into a distribution switch block in GUE's RB80 pSCR Rebreather have been used for years, and I've never heard about any incident describing accidental or "spontaneous" disconnection or failure of a properly attached QC4. (In fact, the only well known infamous accident involving a QC plug-in was due to operator error, rather than the failure or "complexities" of the QC/gas distribution system itself).

Last edited:
Objectively again, the point is as a means to retain the DIR Long Hose Paradigm, the UTD Z-system is currently the only way to mechanically achieve this in sidemount. It remains to be seen if GUE chooses to develop this late in the game, a better more elegant gas distribution to reg solution to go along with the Halcyon Contour sidemount harness. (IMHO, I'm not sure there is. . .).

Cylinder plug-in QC4's into a distribution switch block in GUE's RB80 pSCR Rebreather have been used for years, and I've never heard about any incident describing accidental or "spontaneous" disconnection or failure of a properly attached QC4. (In fact, the only well known infamous accident involving a QC plug-in was due to operator error, rather than the failure or "complexities" QC/gas distribution system itself).
QC6, not QC4.

QC6, not QC4.
What's QC6?

[...]
I've got 6 rigs.... each configured to work identically, fit identically etc..

Much of the existing Hogarthian/DIR/GUE principles can be translated to sidemount.

I dive sidemount recreational because:

1. I love the feeling of freedom and maneuverability; especially being able to twist and rotate across the spine/hips, unencumbered by a rigid backplate or tanks.

2. I want to take redundant gas for dives below 30ft....which is the max depth I have practiced and am confident/comfortable ascending from without gas.

3. I keep my equipment familiarity high by using the same configuration on every dive... which means I'm not in familiarity deficit when doing much higher level dives.

4. I've severely injured my spine, ribs, shoulders, hands, lower limbs on numerous occasions in my life. Not having to carry heavy equipment is a particular benefit... especially as diving is my day-to-day work.

Again thank you so much.

If it's OK, if you have to define the perfect Sidemount rig., how would it look like?
What is missing in today market?
What kind of things should be improve?

What's QC6?

Again thank you so much.

If it's OK, if you have to define the perfect Sidemount rig., how would it look like?
What is missing in today market?
What kind of things should be improve?
Qc6 is a swagelok quick disconnect that's a different size than qc4. It's bigger.

You need a $1200 UTD sidemount rig to go with your $$$$ UTD Scubapro clone regs and your $$$$ UTD drysuit and your $$$$ UTD fins and mask...

No, wrong again.
RD hasn't been proven dangerous by the report you referenced, the Z-system isn't a death trap, UTD isn't brand specific. You can show up with any rig, any regs, any drysuit, any fins and any mask. All you need for a UTD sidemount class is a damn manifold.

In all respect, mud slinging, falsehoods and slantering are inconducive to an unbiased and rational conversation on equipment configurations.

I've never yet heard a UTD affiliated Z-system owner allow an unbiased and purely rational debate on theat equipment. It always degenerates into fantasy claims, illegitimate statistics and.... well, just burying heads in sand, fingers in their ears... shouting "nah.. nah... nah..." until all the nasty 'haters' go away.

I've been more than forthcoming and fairly pointed out that I'm talking about pro's and con's that apply to my diving.

If anyone is interested in an actual conversation on pro's and con's of that approach, I'm all for it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom