GUE do they practice what they preach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

backyard diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am an avid DIR/GUE diver. I was taking a intro to cave course with my daughter at Ginnie springs and had the oportunity to run into one of the top divers with this group. (name withheld) I was kind of in awe when I saw him. They had someone their filming what they were doing. I descided to sit back and watch them get ready. I was surprised to see a reg get dragged across the dirt. We they got in the water not one of the 5 of them did any bubble check or s drills. they actually just about lost one of the scooters as it floated away from the group. I wrote to JJ to inform him that they should always present themselves properly because people are watching them. JJ informed me that divers when they dive together don't always do these checks. I was very surprised by his comment. Complacency kills. I know look at the organization a little differently. Although they still teach the best rules for Doing It Right even if they don't always practice what they preach.

I don't know what you mean by "practice what they preach", but Danny Riordan, who taught my Cave 1 class, did not teach us that we had to do S-drills before every dive. He taught that we should do them regularly, and do them when we dove with new buddies, but that every second or third dive was fine.

Bubble checks, yes, although sometimes those ARE done after submerging and before going into the overhead. In fact, sometimes it's reasonable to do flow checks when horizontal and just below the water, since you have already pre-breathed both regulators.

It's true that people (myself included) who are GUE trained may not always be 100% in observance of all of the training, but make sure you know what's actually going on before you judge.

Why would a "GUE diver" be taking an intro to cave course vs. GUE Cave1?

Me senses a troll

rjack -- I thought that was a might strange myself!

But, back to the OP -- Guess what -- They, GUE trained divers and GUE Instructors, are HUMAN! I've actually been diving with GUE instructors when, gasp, one hit the bottom when doing a bag shoot -- or, double gasp, passed a contrary arrow without putting down a cookie.

OP -- you wrote
They had someone their filming
-- I believe you actually meant to write "there" as in "someone was at the place filming...." Just a perfect example of people not always being 100% all the time.

Holy crap. Talk about bashing. :shakehead: The OP set GUE up on very high standards and to see "one of the top divers in this group" not follow their (Peter :no:) teaching can be a bit disappointing. Life isn't fair. If the rules that GUE teaches helps you with your DIR diving then that's all that matters. Right?

Additionally, he states he's taking cavern/intro with his *daughter*. What's to say she isn't GUE certified.

Last edited:
Not sure why this is in the Trips/Marketplace forum?

Anyway, if the worst you can come up with is drifting scooters, dragging octo's, and the lack of a buddy check... well that is nothing horrible or unsafe.

I've dragged my reg. I don't do so on purpose, but it happens. I don't generally do buddy checks with familiar divers other than to check air which is constant, but I could avoid that also.

You may have just discovered that instructors are in fact people, even DIR dudes! If they are not instructing then you can hardly hold them to some perfect classroom standard.

I'm a bit surprised you were there following their every movement.. now that is a bit creepy! :shocked2:

Life is a *****. There isn't a Santa Claus.

^^^Thats a typo, RIGHT?

2exlnit.gif

Please tell me you meant to write "is" and not "isn't".

Don't do this to me a month before Christmas.

:shocked2:

^^^Thats a typo, RIGHT?

2exlnit.gif

Please tell me you meant to write "is" and not "isn't".

Don't do this to me a month before Christmas.

:shocked2:

Aren't you over 18 yet? :wink:

My kid is going to be very disappointed...Thanks Scrooge...

I think the troll has won, now he's got everyone upset....

You let your kid read SB?! Look what he can find out... turn the computer off, Mister!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom