GUE Fundamentals in Atlanta, Feb 15-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR-Atlanta

Contributor
Reaction score
The DIR-Atlanta dive group is pleased to offer a GUE Fundamentals course in Atlanta on Feb 15-18. That might seem like an odd time and place to be offering a dive course. If anyone is worried about the time of year and potential for cold weather, then don't - we have that problem (mostly) knocked.

For this course, we will be using the facilities at Georgia Tech for most of the classroom and water work. GT has a 17 foot deep diving well, which is large enough for the whole class (and suitable for practicing all the shallow skills). We'll need to take a one day trip on Sunday Feb 18 to a local quarry or lake for the deeper work, but hopefully by then everyone will be looking good on their skills, and any cold water will just be a minor annoyance.

To get an idea of what the classroom and pool space looks like, check out our DIR-Atlanta photo gallery.

This course will be taught by Mark Messersmith, who is a gas diver and Project Coordinator for the WKPP. Mark taught a Fundamentals course for us earlier this year, which was a great success.

The course is listed on the GUE web site as a 4-day class, but we will probably restrict enrollment to only 3-4 students, so it will probably wind up being a 3-day class. We plan to have everyone meet on Thursday evening (Feb 15) for the introductions, paperwork, and swim test, and then use 3 full days (Fri-Sun) for the remaining classroom and skills work.

If anyone has questions about the course, then please send me a PM so I can put you in touch with the person who is making the local arrangements.

Too bad, I'll be in Denver those days, would love to check it out. Any idea of the cost?

Lake Lanier is fairly clear with 10' -15' vis right now, by Feb it should be better unless the algea start up. The Dive Haven Quarry in WHite is usually very good and is only and hour up I-75.

Mike

mikerault:
Too bad, I'll be in Denver those days, would love to check it out. Any idea of the cost?
I think Mark M is charging $450 for teaching the class. There are some additional expenses associated with diving, use of the facility, etc. Not sure on those, but I'd be surprised if it's more than $100 per person for the weekend.

Depending on the success of this class, we may try to do another one before the end of the year. Having access to an indoor facility makes the class a lot less dependent on weather, so we are hoping to offer these types of training opportunities several times a year. There is also talk of a possible Rec Triox course in the Summer, if we have enough interest.

mikerault:
Lake Lanier is fairly clear with 10' -15' vis right now, by Feb it should be better unless the algea start up. The Dive Haven Quarry in White is usually very good and is only and hour up I-75.
I think the plan is to use Dive Haven (if they're open), or possibly Joccassee.

What will be the equipment requirements? Do you need to have everything before the class?

Mike

I may be interested also and have pretty much the same questions Mike asked.

I don't know what Mark's answer would be, but for my class you had to have a BP/W/long hose setup, and non-split fins. You did NOT have to have a can light, or be in doubles (although nowadays, that gets you a rec pass and you have to convert it later if you want to take technical instruction from GUE).

mikerault:
What will be the equipment requirements? Do you need to have everything before the class?
Equipment requirements are outlined in the GUE Standards and Procedures manual, on page 17. I think TSandM covered most of the highlights:
  • BP/W - rigid metal BP with continuous webbing, 5 D-rings, non-bungee wings
  • Non-split fins
  • 5 or 7 foot hose on primary
  • Exposure protection appropriate to the environment
  • SMB and spool, Wetnotes, cutting device
You do not doubles or lights unless you intend to go for a "Tech" rating.

If you are local to the Atlanta area and are interested in getting assistance with equipment, then you should consider dropping by one of our monthly DIR-Atlanta meetings. We have several folks who took Fundies from Mark earlier this year, and can offer advice or comments on the course.

Piqued my interest...certainly closest DIR-F course to Houston in the nearterm.

Would a lake/quarry nearby Atlanta in February mandate a 7mm or drysuit?

BMCG:
Piqued my interest...certainly closest DIR-F course to Houston in the near term.
Great - hope you can take the class.

BMCG:
Would a lake/quarry nearby Atlanta in February mandate a 7mm or drysuit?
Probably so - we did a DIR-F class at Blue Water quarry near Birmingham in Feb 2003, and I think water temps were in the 50s. Three of the four students were dry, and the fourth was wet (in a 7mm, I think). The good news is that it's only one day at the quarry, since we are planning to do most of the skill work in the GT dive well.

Yep, a 7mm or a drysuit is definately indicated. We dive year round, and believe me, if you got it, bring a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom