GUE Fundies vs UTD Extreme Scuba Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... you're saying you think UTD is better than GUE? I mean, I'm pretty sure JS is supposed to be the rightful king...
well I meant how he was treated as a bastard by his sisters and mother. Not a great comparison now that I think of it. JS is a badass. So if I say UTD is badass, then what’s GUE? Dead except for three people... (spoilers).

Back on topic, I think the OP should consider GUE as it’s the forefather agency and is more widely recognised but if he has a UTD shop or instructor that is good near him, he should obviously make informative choices in that regard and not solely go for for GUE. Even though I would after my experience.

The correct equivalents would be UTD Essentials and GUE Fundamentals (days)
Extreme Scuba Makeover - ESM - is a much smaller workshop (hours)
(ESM is very valuable, but different scope than the prior).

I think you’re in for a treat either way, and at the Essentials/Foundational level, both will move you a great deal, probably as much as you can comfortably tolerate, on core skills.

With UTD, you’re also learning RD, and you have the option of Z-System sidemount in addition to backmount (single- or double tank).

We can have a conversation about sidemount or rebreather philosophy, but the focus of the courses in question is mainly trim, propulsion, bouyancy and situational awareness.

I think that’s an important point to make.

However, I would challenge you to do the Extreme Scuba Makeover first as a taster, and see what you think of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom