GUE Fundies vs UTD Extreme Scuba Upgrade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My general consensus is to spend your money reading books and diving with no courses

View attachment 486987
and you too can look like me

A Book: Something that has been deemed readworthy by someone other than the author and published

I hope this is a joke. If it isn't' you obviously have no idea about the attributes of a fundies class and therefore shouldn't comment. Probably the most useless comment on sb in a while.

You are very fortunate to have Submerged in your area, Jon and Tanya are excellent instructors. I’m very confident you’ll be challenged, dramatically improve your skills and enjoy it. In fact, I’m so confident, if you don’t feel you’ve been challenged and vastly improved your skills I’ll send you $100. Seriously.

I've given this a lot of thought and a ton of reading. Here on SB I thought the general consensus was to dive the instructor, not the class or the card.....no?

Fair enough! But if there is any exception to the axiom "it's the instructor, not the agency" it would be GUE and UTD.

Fair enough! But if there is any exception to the axiom "it's the instructor, not the agency" it would be GUE and UTD.

As time goes on, I disagree with this statement, as I feel the agency sets the framework, foundation if you will, from which the instructor is supposed to work from. Agency selection is important, and once that is selected, then the instructor.

As time goes on, I disagree with this statement, as I feel the agency sets the framework, foundation if you will, from which the instructor is supposed to work from. Agency selection is important, and once that is selected, then the instructor.

I would agree that not every instructor's way of teaching mesh with every student's way of learning, even if the instructor objectively meets strict quality control requirements imposed by the agency. So, yes, the instructor does still matter if you want to get the most out of a class.

I would go GUE because I’ve done it and it was awesome. They seem pretty similar although UTD is the bastard child of GUE. It’s like Jon Snow in the Stark household in Game of Thrones....

Let the comparisons begin.

I would go GUE because I’ve done it and it was awesome. They seem pretty similar although UTD is the bastard child of GUE. It’s like Jon Snow in the Stark household in Game of Thrones....

Let the comparisons begin.
So... you're saying you think UTD is better than GUE? I mean, I'm pretty sure JS is supposed to be the rightful king...

I would agree that not every instructor's way of teaching mesh with every student's way of learning, even if the instructor objectively meets strict quality control requirements imposed by the agency. So, yes, the instructor does still matter if you want to get the most out of a class.
Absolutely the instructor matters, but I believe that the agency still needs first consideration as they set what skills can be taught and in what order. And even the best instructor is a good fit for everyone

As an outsider, the big differences I've noticed between the two seem to be:
UTD embraces sidemount (although maybe GUE does now too? I might be out of date) and some other gear that GUE eschews (gas switch blocks etc)

UTD teaches "Ratio Deco" for dive time figurin' out. RD is controversial. Some hate it, some love it. There's loads of discussions about it in other threads.

Both seem to have a similar focus on basic skills like trim and buoyancy.

As an outsider, the big differences I've noticed between the two seem to be:
UTD embraces sidemount (although maybe GUE does now too? I might be out of date) and some other gear that GUE eschews (gas switch blocks etc)

UTD teaches "Ratio Deco" for dive time figurin' out. RD is controversial. Some hate it, some love it. There's loads of discussions about it in other threads.

Both seem to have a similar focus on basic skills like trim and buoyancy.

I wouldn’t call what UTD done to sidemount embracing it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom