GUE standard: computer-integrated compass versus left or right arm ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roger Hobden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have plans to go through the GUE Fundamentals course next year, and i am looking to practice wearing my dive equipment in it's proper place.

In their DIR book (which doesn't appear to have been updated for many years), they mention that the compass must be worn on the left arm, but on the Rec Fudamental videos, no instructor seems to have a compass, and they all have their (perdix) computer on the right arm.

Can anyone help me out about this ?

One suggestion - ask your instructor. Even a year away, I am sure that any GUE instructor will help out. Personally, I use my right arm for my computer (Perdix), so my left arm is free and clear to help other divers with their inflator.

When I took it 3 years ago, the computer went on the right arm and compass on left one. I had to take my transmitter off the first stage for the class as it was a no no.

When I took it 3 years ago, the computer went on the right arm and compass on left one. I had to take my transmitter off the first stage for the class as it was a no no.
Samesame for me, but I have a computer with an integrated compass. Agree that transmitters are not used in Fundies.

So you don't use the computer's built-in compass during the GUE Fundamentals ?

So you don't use the computer's built-in compass during the GUE Fundamentals ?
That's not what I said. I used the computer (perdix AI) on my right hand and compass (SK8) on my left. There was no navigation for the course so it did not come up.

There was no navigation for the course so it did not come up.

So I just went on the GUE website and checked again: they do recommend having a compass as being part of the basic equipment, but indeed they do not describe any navigation exercise during the Rec Fundamentals.

On the other hand, if you have an integrated compass on your computer (which is on your right arm), when would you ever want to use a real compass during diving ?

Naturally, I suppose one could (and maybe should) carry along a real compass as a backup, in case the computer gets flooded.

Samesame to compressor, but I took Fundies before shearwater introduced an integrated compass. So i used my left arm for a compass. As I mentioned in an earlier post, ask a GUE instructor.

Agree with Charlier. You can ask GUE instructor. Seriously, its not a big deal.

I have plans to go through the GUE Fundamentals course next year, and i am looking to practice wearing my dive equipment in it's proper place.

In their DIR book (which doesn't appear to have been updated for many years), they mention that the compass must be worn on the left arm, but on the Rec Fudamental videos, no instructor seems to have a compass, and they all have their (perdix) computer on the right arm.

Can anyone help me out about this ?

This is true. Hard core DIR divers still don't use computers at all. What they have on the right arm is a bottom timer.

The reason for "left this... right that" is the assumption that the diver may (or may in the future) use a scooter.

Personally I do what feels right to me (i'm essentially left handed). I have the computer and compass left and right respectively, which makes me a "stroke" but I don't really give a rat's patoot what the purists think about that.

R..

Back
Top Bottom