GUE Tech 1 book and DIRF book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, so if most people do not know what DIR is, but what they say matches up with what the DIRF book says, which is straight from the authorities, what does that mean? I know its a supplement for the class, but from what your saying it seems like you have to be DIR to understand it.

And if you think you got your money's worth, more power to you. I am in the military and get paid nothing. I don't have $14.95 to spend on things that have no value for me.

cadet diver once bubbled...
Ok, so if most people do not know what DIR is, but what they say matches up with what the DIRF book says, which is straight from the authorities, what does that mean? I know its a supplement for the class, but from what your saying it seems like you have to be DIR to understand it.

And if you think you got your money's worth, more power to you. I am in the military and get paid nothing. I don't have $14.95 to spend on things that have no value for me.

Don't put words in my mouth. The problem is that what internet divers know DOESN'T match up with reality. The book is an introduction to DIR, and it's the real deal. And someone who WANTS to learn about DIR can take away enough REAL information to make a determination as to where their future interests may lie. If you're really DIR, you don't need the book anymore.

cadet diver once bubbled...
Ok, so if most people do not know what DIR is, but what they say matches up with what the DIRF book says, which is straight from the authorities, what does that mean?
It means that a lot of folks have read DIR stuff on the internet and some have bought the book (like yourself) and then they start parroting what they have read.... and it sounds like DIR to those who don't know any better... and it sounds like internet DIR to those of us who do.

Personally I didn't find the books to be worth what I paid.... and I paid a lot more than you did... and it wasn't even the final ready for publishing version... come to think of it... I guess what I have is sort of a collector's item... well... back to my point:

What I received from the classes was worth far more than what I paid... even counting the book $.

Take the DIRf if you get the chance... you won't be sorry.

As a fresh mind first exposed to DIR via this board (and bp/wings, and a whole lot of other cool stuff), I proceeded in a very logical manner to gain as much knowledge as I possibly could via the glorious Internet.

What I found was that, as UP said previously, there are a whole lot of people, websites, and documents out there that are regurgitating and twisting around this information. This is not out of the ordinary. You will find contradicting ideas, theories, BS, and a whole lot of misinformation on ANY topic that you are researching.

For example: "I think I'll educate myself on the history of martial arts." Here's a possible site you might find: Martial Arts Website.

Now, obviously, if you were to believe what you read on this site, you would be completely misinformed. Wouldn't it be better to buy a book put out by a group like the United States Martial Arts Association, or another group that teaches how to perform those skills correctly? (It might not be the best example, but you get the point.)

The only way to get to the real story and maintain objectivity is to obtain it directly from the original source. Secondhand sources will always add in more and change things around, even if they don't mean to.

For me, buying the book was a no-brainer. It wasn't about learning how to be a DIR diver, I need to attend the DIRF class for that. One can't possibly think that you're going to get everything you need to know from a book that distills DECADES of applied theory, design, and experimentation into 175 pages. That's like reading a study guide for organic chemistry and then calling yourself a chemist.

Buying the book was about getting my hands on the facts, so I can discern the truth from all the crap that is out there.

I wouldn't call it a waste of money in the least bit.

Matt

My favorite part of the book is JJ'sdecription of the dive industry. I wish he would have bashed the manufacturers a litle though. I'm sure he understands that the agencies are not the big driving force for instructors and shops. The major force is EQUIPMENT SALES! Training has been tailored to better sell equipment not certifications. Before someone suggests voicing this opinion to GUE, I have (not specificly in reference to the book but the industry in general) and will again.

Agencies should never be bashed without an unfavorable mention of the equipment manufacturers.

I thought the book did a good job of introducing the concept. I'll keep my copy.

I just ordered the DIRF book. Primary to seen what I must change in my gear before joining a DIRF class and secondary to get it "from the mouth of the horse". Is this a mistake? Please, answers from people having taken the DIRF course. My set up now is completely conventional.

DameDykker,

The requirements for the class are a long primary hose and a bungee'd backup. That said, I HIGHLY recommend getting a backplate and wings (beg, borrow, or steal!!) if you're going to take the class. You won't do well without them, and you won't get everything you could out of the class. Bouyancy and trim and the main thrust of the class, and you just can't accomplish that with a traditional jacket setup.

Before I forget-no split fins.

Enjoy the class!!

Jack

Hi DD

I've tried to contact the "local" Swedish DIR people. They were running a class in September, which I couldn't participate in. The email mentioned a November class but they never answered my questions about gear configuration. Therefore, I wanted some solid information - hence the book - before approaching them again. And of cource it's also a matter of money. With new gear and the course. And I think I need to get familiar with the equipment before joining the class. Unfortunately I never seen anybody here with a DIR rig - so no borrowing. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom