Guide to Diving in Tygart Lake, West Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
TYGART LAKE
GRAFTON, WEST VIRGINIA
Elevation: 1,094 feet (summer pool)
Depth: ?????? 120+ feet??????

Since there isn't much information about diving in Tygart Lake, I thought it would nice to document some information for anyone who does a search. I started a new thread so that others can add information.

Tygart Lake is formed by a dam on the Tygart River in Grafton, West Virginia. There is a state park along the northern shore, which you can access through historic downtown Grafton. The rest of the 10-mile long lake is regulated by the Army Corps of Engineers.

There is plenty of both shore and boat diving. The lake is served by a marina in the state park, and boat launching ramps around the lake.

If you don't have a boat, there are basically three places where you can dive from shore: (1) the boat launching ramp near the marina, (2) the swmming area in the state park, or (3) Henderson Rocks.

The state park officers told me that I could dive from the boat ramp near the marina. The marina and boat launching ramps are located within the state park on the northern shore of the lake. As you drive down to the ramps, head toward the left ramp. You can wade into the water there. Swim even further left out of the way of boat traffic. The lake bottom slowly drops down in this area. There is nothing to see here except rocks and mud.

After heavy rains the visibility in this area (and the swimming area) are poor because of a creek that feeds into the lake here.

The swimming area in the state park is another place for shore diving. At the current time, the swimming area is closed because the needed repairs are unfunded.

Henderson Rocks is actually a line of an underwater cliffs running parallel to shore at the Pleasant Creek boat ramp, on the south western shore of the lake. Park at the Pleasant Creek boat ramp and wade out into the water. About 20 feet from the shore, in 8 feet of water, the bottom drops vertically over the underwater cliff. I haven’t ventured too deep here. My only dive was solo and the visibility dropped to zero at about 50 feet.

It is possibile to dive just about anywhere from shore if you don't mind hiking. There are many trails around the lake, some of which involve steep hills. Personally, I prefer to park and then walk as little as possible to get to the water.

Anyone else know of any other interesting diving in Tygart Lake?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom