Guided Dives your Thoughts ? and Bad Situations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on several guided dives where my buddy and I (and others in the group) ignored a dive guide who either (1) took off like a rocket and never looked back, (2) invited us to do something we thought was wrong (petting a grouper he was holding captive), or (3) was going to do something we thought was unsafe (120 ft to see a cross in a little cave). With #3, most of us stopped at a tad over 100 ft, shook our heads, ascended to 80, investigated the wall, did our safety stop and got back on the boat. The guide's "buddy," a 70+ sometimes diver, ended up with the skin bends.

Our core group is all experienced divers, all retired. We liked returning to the same places because we have favorite dive masters who know us.

i would have considering seeing the cross in the cave myself -- if it was visible from outside the cave with a light & the depth was within my mod & dive plan (including enough redundant gas) -- otherwise i'd have done the same as you... if they planned on entering the cave at all -- not a chance..

pretty much when traveling....diving with a guide in the norm. I have never had one try and lead me into an unsafe dive. The only issue I have ever had, (and just a few or them) was them swimming too fast. I did a couple of dives in Cancun where we never stopped kicking from the time we hit the water until the time we got back to the boat. (with no current) I didn't think we need to see the whole reef at one dive.
Normally the guides are very good about pointing things out and finding all the cool stuff that takes a trained eye to find. I have more of a problem when the group is made up of a bunch of "vacation divers" that only dive every 2 or 3 years.....but they know everything about diving (just ask them), and they get in the water and are either bouncing off the bottom or floating to the surface. And know NOTHING about sticking to the dive plan. But as far as dive guides go....I've only not cared for about 10% of them.
I prefer to do my own thing, but when traveling sometimes (well...most of the time) you don't have a choice. Some dive opts once they get to know you (if diving for many days) will let you do your own thing, but just depends on where you're at. But always dive YOUR plan, not someone else's plan. Doesn't matter who's leading the dive, you are responsible for your own safety. IN my home waters here in Cali, I've never been on a guided tour.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom